merry tiller chain case

• 8 Replies

chumpy7

merry tiller chain case
« on: September 27, 2014, 16:14 »
Hi , I think the oil in my recently purchased Centaur chaincase is too thin ( it leaks when stood cold ) so I want to drain and refill it with some SAE40. How do I drain the chaincase ?
                  regards Mick

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
Re: merry tiller chain case
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:45 »
The gasket is probably blown on your chain case as it is highly unlikely to be thin oil.  When it is hot the metal expands and will create a oil tight seal. I would look at replacing the gasket rather than using a thicker oil.
I am not sure what grade is recomended but the wrong oil is likely to damage your machine
May the fork be with you

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 20:10 »
It is usually the rotor shaft oil seals that leak, they are a problem on Merry Tillers. I sell them, but have to get them made now as original stocks are exhausted, though you can also get US spec seals, which are a single lip seal of half the width, you put two of these in each side back to back. Regarding oil, Wolseley recommended SAE40 but the US makers now specify 00 grade grease, which is oil with the viscosity of cold treacle.
R Tallentire

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 20:14 »
Forgot to mention the way you get the oil out, you drain the engine of oil and fuel, lay the machine on it's side and let the oil run out of the chaincase filler hole.

chumpy7

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 21:12 »
There's no oil showing on or around the rotor shafts, its just at the bottom of the chaincase .I don't fancy draining the engine fluids, how easy is it to remove the engine and then lay it on its side ? And does anyone have a cheap UK source for the oo grease ?
                                            regards Mick

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 20:01 »
I tried my local oil merchant. Turned out they didn't sell it but used it to lubricate the pneumatic oil pumps in their warehouse, and they gave me enough to fill a Merry Tiller. Removing the engine is easy except for the bolt behind the belt guide, the other three are good to get at.

chumpy7

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 21:25 »
Can't get the oo grease in less than 12 kilo drums so I'm settling for a litre of sae40 for the chaincase from Pennine Lubricants .Got the engine off so I got in there with some gunk and now it seems a shame to dirty it up, might dig  by hand and just polish the tiller.

Regards Mick

Svend

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:57 »
Try Morris Lubricants - they do 0, 00 and 000 grade oils in 3kg packs via their online store http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/k400-ep-semi-fluid-grease.html

Btw, I've always wondered how effectively grease would lubricate the top (input) bearing - I'd suggest trying the most fluid (000) grade first.  On old washing up liquid bottle is a handy way of getting it into the chaincase.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 22:41 »
Screaming eagle chain guard from yuor local harley davidson dealer. It comes in an arosol. Same viscosity but a tad expensive

xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Merry Tiller Help

Started by John on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2006, 20:48
by John
xx
im looking for a merry tiller

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 23:33
by muntjac
xx
Merry Tiller

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post November 29, 2006, 21:52
by muntjac

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 37 queries.