Squashed chicken??

• 3 Replies

JackieBu

Squashed chicken??
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:00 »
Hi, has anyone had or heard of a chicken dying as a result of being sat on by others? Yes, sure to have had in the battery cages but wondered if possible in our free rangers.
Our 4 (now 3) ex battery hens tend to sleep in nest boxes, of which their are 3 favourite boxes, despite perches. Just found one chicken dead and was fine yesterday, recently wormed, but in position that my partner thinks was trapped and squashed by the others. Don't fancy doing a PM. Rigour mortise set in but back end, towards vent squishy. Thoughts appreciated.

bravemurphy

Re: Squashed chicken??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 19:18 »
Yes a friend of mine had this happen with some from battery farms, they did not know how to perch and all huddled in the corner of the coop the first night and they lost 3 or 4 from being suffocated.

JackieBu

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 22:40 »
Thanks Bravemurphy. Sad to lose one, but they have had a few good months with total free range of the garden. She lived longer than most caged hens.   :(

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:41 »
I used to worry when mine sat on top of each other and wondered how they could possibly be comfortable. However, I'm sure that being squashed to death is very much an exception. It is very possible that there was another cause for her demise. Take comfort from the fact you have given her a great home and you couldn't have done anything to stop them piling on top of each other anyway. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
help please squashed eggs??

Started by chickychick on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 22:27
by muntjac
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
smiley
Can't eat chicken

Started by treacle on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 21:38
by joyfull
xx
Ill chicken?

Started by Mildredsmum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 18:01
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 35 queries.