Cars and Allotments

• 15 Replies

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Cars and Allotments
« on: January 02, 2008, 16:48 »
I wasn't sure where to put this but I think cars probably qualify as equipment and are used for hauling it around....

My problem is that I am thinking about taking on an allotment. There is some plots just around the corner from our house (the only ones I would consider taking on) - I am going to ring tomorrow and see if any are available. However, neither my husband or myself drive - whilst I don't have an issue in terms of carrying most equipment like spades and hoes and things am I going to struggle in general for site clearance and maintenance without a car?

Jaye

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Cars and Allotments
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 16:53 »
I suppose your biggest problem with no car will be moving any big bits of rubbish off the allotment, or taking things like BIG bags of compost etc onto it.

And a quick apology.  On your earlier post, I called you mate, but I see you are a ladeeeee, so I'm sorry I called you mate!!!!   :D

brucesgirl

Cars and Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 16:53 »
Hi Jaye, welcome to the site.
Our allotment is just around the corner to us, and we trundle stuff there and back in the wheelbarrow.
The big stuff like manure and sheds can be delivered to your site.

crowndale

Cars and Allotments
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 16:56 »
Do you have friends who can drive?  They might help out from time to time if you need to shift stuff from the plot.  And if you are clearing it for the first time the site might even provide a skip, the worst they can say is no.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Gwiz

Cars and Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 18:08 »
Hello Jaye, some allotments have an area where you can either burn or dump rubbish. ours does, which is very useful. As our friends have already replied here, big "stuf" can be delivered to the allotment, and if you're not that far away, other "things" can be trundled down there from your home in a wheel barrow, or in one of those four wheeled trucks that have become quite popular. I DO drive up to the allotment, but I have a couple of friends who are on the same site who have never owned a car, and they have a double allotment.
I hope you have fun with your allotment, all the effort is worth it in the end. :D

mushroom

Re: Cars and Allotments
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 18:28 »
Quote from: "Jaye"
I wasn't sure where to put this but I think cars probably qualify as equipment and are used for hauling it around....

My problem is that I am thinking about taking on an allotment. There is some plots just around the corner from our house (the only ones I would consider taking on) - I am going to ring tomorrow and see if any are available. However, neither my husband or myself drive - whilst I don't have an issue in terms of carrying most equipment like spades and hoes and things am I going to struggle in general for site clearance and maintenance without a car?

Jaye

Do you cycle?

It's amazing how many tools you can get on a push-bike. I'd strap a spade, hoe and fork to the top bar with bungee ties, then cycle the mile or so to the plot, before I got my shed. In addition to that, I got a cycle trailer. I still use the trailer to ferry compost to the site, and other bits and bobs that can't be strapped to the bike. You can get a surprising amount of heavy stuff in there.

mushroom

Cars and Allotments
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 18:30 »
In terms of site clearance, you might find that if you bag it up that the council will take it away for you. Not in my case though, I have to recruit the services of car-owning friends, sadly  :cry:

splodger

Cars and Allotments
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 19:01 »
my lottie site is only about 3/4 mile from my house - but i always drive there - and in the summer - i drive right up to my plot - but i am not able-bodied  :cry:

we are not allowed sheds or anything on site - so have no storage there - everything stays in the car therefore

heavy stuff will be your biggest challenge - but as mentioned - bike trailer, wheelbarrow, hand cart etc will sort many things for you - a few favours in exchange for a few bits of fresh veg will get you the help you need  :wink:

Jaye

• Experienced Member
Cars and Allotments
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 19:21 »
I don't have a bike but I do have a toddler and a 6 year old so I have slave labour and a buggy to strap things to!  :lol:

I think it would be manageable probably - there is a bus nearby - i'd just end up buying small bags of compost and things like that as necessary - shop about for things that are lightweight / easy to handle.

I don't know if there is anywhere to burn rubbish - I haven't seen the site yet except over the hedge and it wasn't a very good view!

Thanks for all your replies folks!

Jaye

shaun

Cars and Allotments
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 19:25 »
theres lots of folks on our plots who dont have transport and get by just fine,just go for it you wont regret it jaye,apart from when you harvest your spuds when a wheel barrow can come in very handy :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mashauk

Cars and Allotments
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 19:32 »
We don't drive either.  If we have rubbish sometimes we ask one of our plot neighbours who has a van to help us out, in return for some veg or money to cover petrol, I think someone hires a skip once a year too and everyone uses it.

SkipRat

Cars and Allotments
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 17:00 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
Do you have friends who can drive?  They might help out from time to time if you need to shift stuff from the plot.  And if you are clearing it for the first time the site might even provide a skip, the worst they can say is no.

good advice CD, when took on my 1st plot, the council provided 3 blokes and a transit tipper truck and it took them 3 trips to clear all the rubbish i found.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Sally A

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 17:10 »
Quote from: "mushroom"

Do you cycle?

It's amazing how many tools you can get on a push-bike. I'd strap a spade, hoe and fork to the top bar with bungee ties, then cycle the mile or so to the plot, before I got my shed. In addition to that, I got a cycle trailer. I still use the trailer to ferry compost to the site, and other bits and bobs that can't be strapped to the bike. You can get a surprising amount of heavy stuff in there.

If we were still doing the pressie list, I'd get you a Wide Load plate.

mushroom

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 17:53 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
If we were still doing the pressie list, I'd get you a Wide Load plate.

LOL! wide load is closer to the truth than you think :)

Green man

Cars and Allotments
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 08:50 »
Hi Jaye. My wife and I don't drive , but we took on  a plot at our local allotments last March. We have just walked things over, that is my wife walked and I wheeled myself in my wheelchair. I was surprised to find how much we could get over.
But other than that we got to know other plot holders who did drive and they were only to happyto help. I do hope you get on well and enjoy yourselves as much as we have. All the best
Greenman.
It's better to be over the Hill than under it!!

xx
Polytunnels for allotments

Started by simbamara on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 14:39
by simbamara
xx
Compost bags & Allotments

Started by Dopey113 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 19:32
by Dopey113

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 34 queries.