help bleeding bottom

• 10 Replies

arty

help bleeding bottom
« on: July 17, 2013, 20:17 »
hello
i am newish to chicken keeping ...my 4 chickens are free ranging I noticed this evening three chickens pecking at the bottom of the 4th chicken I ran out and got her separated from the others. she then went on to lay a soft shelled egg ...i have checked her rear end and there is a bit of blood where they have pecked ....Im thinking should I bathe her back end ? and then what shall I put on it ? and shall I keep her separated until it heals I have an enclosed run where she will be safe from the others but they can still wander around the run . Lastly shall I keep her separate overnight too as i don't want her picked on in the coop ...help ...thanks Arty

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: help bleeding bottom
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 21:35 »
Hi arty,  you have done the right thing taking her away from the others.  Once a chicken sees blood they will continue to peck and eventually kill whatever they are pecking at.  They will have been attracted by the broken egg leaking out of her vent and will have caused her to bleed.

Best to bath her in luke warm water which you can add some salt which should help healing.  Gently towel dry and finish off with a cool setting on a hairdryer.  If you have purple spray use that on the affected area.  Alternatively use wound powder or if you don't have any use ordinary cornflour which will help dry the wound.  Keep her away from the other hens but in sight of them during the day (if well enough) if you can until she is recovered.  Make sure she has access to food and water as she may want to stay indoors.

If the pecked area is really bad you will need to consult a vet who will be able to attend to the wound and give antibiotics if needed.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ANHBUC

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:43 »
How are things this morning arty?

arty

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:30 »
thanks for your reply
yes there is no sign of any blood or oozing today she seems fine but will keep her separate just to make sure she is in a sturdy run and the others are just free ranging around her .......what is the blue spray ? will go and get some today thanks Arty

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:40 »
Purple spray is used to disguise wounds and help them heal.  It is a handy thing to have in but be careful when using it as it will stain.  If ever using it near the hens head it is best applied using a cotton bud so as not to get it in the hens eyes.  You should be able to get it from a farm supplies shop and may be in the equine section.

Keep an eye out for her looking fluffed up and tail down as it can be really uncomfortable for them to lay a soft shelled egg.  A luke warm bath will help her to relax the muscles and aid her laying. 

Check that you have crushed oyster shell available to help form a good quality egg shell as well as grit which is used by them to grind the food in their gizzard.  Green leafy vegetables will help her to absorb calcium to help with the egg shell forming.  It could be down to the over hot weather as one of mine is laying softies at the moment.   ;)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 09:43 »
It is called purple spray and will be available from horsey/agricultural shops. The purple colour, as far as the hens are concerned will stop the wounds looking red and encouraging a further attack. Also purple spray will go a little way to deterring flies - quite important this weather. It is good that she is separated but in sight of the others which will keep her safe for now and not feeling too lonely and also should not cause a problem when you reintroduce her. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

arty

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:51 »
thanks yes they have grit and oyster shell but as they are free ranging now they don't always visit where I have it ...last night I sprinkled some under some straw to try and encourage her to scratch for some which did work she did a bit of scratching round........they were laying softies when I first got them but haven't for the past month or so........these are the four chickens I found on the road if you remember ....this one with the rpobelm is not 'doing' that well still not grown feathers back bit thin etc I have taken her to vets for checking (my vet is the local chicken vet) and she wasn't worried about her so I am just keeping a close eye ..they also do get cabbage and broccoli which they love ......they have endless supply of layers pellets in a feeder and I give then layers mash mixed with water in the morning and they have corn and grain in the evening and sometimes another bowl of layers mash.....is this diet about right ? thanks Sassy too

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 10:00 »
I would stop giving them corn or grain if they are laying softies.  Layers pellets will give them a balanced diet so put a feeder where they free range as you would a drinker.  They should then eat more or the layers which should help.  One of the other members uses flower pots for the grit and crushed oyster shell and holds them down with a tent peg.  This would be a great idea in the area they free range.

If you are making a layers porridge you can do it with the pellets and not go to the expense of having both pellets and mash.  If you only have a few hens the feed can deteriorate before it is used up and the nutrients are lost.   ;)

arty

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 12:44 »
Ok thanks thats a good tip .....have just managed to find the purple spray after a little bit of trailing around this morning .....is there anything else that would be useful to have in my 'first aid kit' ?

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 13:31 »
Vaseline can be used for prevention/treatment of scaley leg mites or to use on vent feathers when they have had mucky bottoms (applied after bathing) to stop the poo sticking.

Cornflour can be used if you don't have wound powder, it helps stop bleeding.

For bandaging the sports type is best as it sticks to itself and not the birds feathers.  Supermarket own brands are usually the cheapest (Morrisons, Tesco). 

I use sterilizing fluid to make sure everything is thoroughly clean when treating the birds.  I buy mine from Home Bargains as it is loads cheaper than well known brands.   ;)

arty

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 13:33 »
thanks that's worth knowing ...better to be prepared....   :)

xx
HELP!!!!!! bleeding hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 10:03
by raeburg
exclamation
Bleeding toe!!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 19:06
by Pretty Chick
xx
Bleeding from eye

Started by ktc on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 07:23
by sneezer
xx
Bleeding After First Egg

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 15:54
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 36 queries.