Greenhouse heaters

• 12 Replies

digby

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse heaters
« on: March 22, 2013, 10:23 »
Hello all,

I have loads of stuff that I really could do with getting out into the greenhouse to make way for the next batch of seedlings, but it is still way too cold  :(

I was wondering about getting a small heater for the greenhouse and wondered if anyone had any recommendations about cost effectiveness etc..

Also I have never used one before, do you leave it on permanently until the weather perks up or ???

There is no electric supply out there.

Any help gratefully accepted, and hope all your plots are looking amazing, I've been away from the forums for a while

many thanks D x

Totty

Re: Greenhouse heaters
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 00:06 »
How big is the greenhouse. I have used electric and paraffin and for ease and control electric wins hands down. Not used gas but seems like lots more hassle than electric. To keep a small area frost free you can section off an area to heat and get a paraffin heater.

Totty

digby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:28 »
It's 8x4 so not massive and the garden is fairly sheltered so we don't suffer too badly

Totty

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 16:13 »
A little double wick paraffin heater will keep it frost free and make it feel noticeably warmer. I'd do that for now. If you like the idea of heating it better next year you will have plenty of time to sort something out. I think the paraffin heater I have is a parasene and cost about twenty quid.

Totty

allot2learn

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 17:08 »
Be aware of the cost of paraffin. It's currently around £7 for 4Ltrs.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 15:13 »
I'm really interested in this thread, too. No more room in the house, seedlings need pricking out, no place to go but freezing cold greenhouse on the lottie!

As paraffin's my only choice, can anyone recommend a decent heater for an 8' x 6' greenhouse, and will it be effective at keeping the frost at bay when there have been regular night temperatures in there recently down to - 2.2C?

There are few gaps and I plan to add bubble wrap, too.

Of course I'd only use it when freezing temperatures are predicted - can anyone tell me, roughly, how much that would cost in paraffin per night?

Thanks in advance!

Pim.
I don't really look like my avatar.

adal

• Man Of the World
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 20:40 »
if you have a look on this site https://www.parasene.com/page/index.asp?pageCatID=11&pageID=14                              it may help you on the cost of running a  (paraffin heater click on FAQ's best of luck
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 20:54 by adal »

rainman

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 20:12 »
I have an 8 x 6 greenhouse and ave been using a parasene superwarm 4 and a cold frame heater which has kept it at 8c overnight in the past week.  Ihave just acquired an aladdin aladdinique heater which burns a lot hotter.  Might be a bit more expensive to run but at least the plants are ok

rainman

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 20:16 »
Try ebay for old heaters, mne needed a few bits which I got from parafinalia

syks grower

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 19:00 »
I have a four teir grow house( the cheap plastic ones ) in my greenhouse which i put a Parasene cold frame heater
on the floor under the bottom shelf.
I germinate seeds on the bottom selves and put plants on the top two selves kept temp about 10 deg C for the last month. on a 4.5 ltr can of parafin.
I get mine from local builders merchant £5.50 for 4.5 Ltrs.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:17 »
Thank you all for your replies so far... Syks,the growhouse in greenhouse sounds a good way to go, given the cost of the paraffin - are there no fire/safety issues with the heater under the plastic cover? I have growhouse shelves in the greenhouse already, but they're also made of plastic.

Thanks a lot,

Pim.

syks grower

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 20:51 »
I was worried about that at first but the heater I use has the flame inside a metal cover so there are no naked flames.
you just need to open the grow house every couple of days to let the water vapour  out and take things out to water as drips put the heater out

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 08:10 »
Thanks for that, sounds like a good solution!  :)

xx
Propane Greenhouse Heaters

Started by muckshifter on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 21:15
by muckshifter
xx
Coldframe Heaters for Greenhouse?

Started by triage999 on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post February 19, 2007, 23:09
by Salkeela
xx
Paraffin Heaters

Started by buntyboos on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 10:13
by Kristen
xx
Propane heaters??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 21:49
by WG.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.