How much soil and what type?

• 9 Replies

newseed

« on: February 22, 2008, 09:45 »
Hi, this is my first attempt at growing my own, I have a very small garden and I am putting a raised bed made of link a bord, its only 1m wide by 2m long. I am not sure how much soil to buy and what type.
I am hoping to grow things like leeks, carrots, beetroot, runner beans and salad crops.  Any advice regarding the soil would be appreciated.

noshed

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:56 »
You can use anything that isn't too expensive - cheap grow bags, multipurpose compost, mixed with garden soil. Bung a bit of blood fish and bone in and you're away!
What are you standing it on? It's better if you can put it on soil - if so, fork that a bit before filling the bed to improve the drainage.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

newseed

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:48 »
I am debating whether to put the frame on soil about 2' away from my leylandii hedge that I put in last year or I may take up some of the lawn and lay it further from the hedge as I have read the the leylandii will take all the moisture out of the ground.
Thanks for the tip on the type of soil, do you know how I work out how much I need?

noshed

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:31 »
I'd be inclined to site it away from the hedge if you can. Apart from anything else it will be dry and you want to be able to get round all four sides for weeding etc.
If you're putting it on a lawn someone on here recommended recently cutting off the turf and putting it in upside down in the bed. Then start filling with anything you can lay your hands on - eventually you'll be using your own compost of course...
Hard to know how to calculate - get a few bags and see how you go. The 99p shops are doing grow bags at the moment for example.

andrewjwalsh

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 15:11 »
Hi Newseed,

I asked the same question and the answer is to use clod/turfs upside and then stack it with a bit of everything!

noshed

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 15:32 »
There you are then, I wasn't hallucinating

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 17:45 »
I got some of those Link a bord jobs - they make them near me  :D  

I didn't dig anything out for mine. I just laid thick pieces of good cardboard cadged from the business park, then put the Link a bord bed on top of that.  The weeds are kept at bay by the cardboard which takes an age to rot away by which time the weeds have been killed off.  I've not had any weeds surface - only a moley  :evil:

I filled mine with all the tater peelings, tea bags, kitchen scraps, home made compo, manure from the local stables, loads of leaf mould made on the lotty (carrots like it apparently)  and soil from the plot. Even the mole hills went in  :D

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 18:29 »
Interesting that you've recently planted leylandii as several months ago we had a post asking how to get rid of them, and many responded with like requests  :?

newseed

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 11:19 »
I was going to put a fence in, then we had strong winds and most of the neighbours fences blew down.  So I decided on the Leylandii because they are a good screen and kept under control, they look really good.
Thanks Compostqueen, sounds like its not going to be as hard as I was making it.

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 15:36 »
these Link a bord beds are ok I reckon. I managed to overwinter pak choi, carrots and spinach on them. They say being twin walled they're well insulated. All made of recyclables to apparently

I've got two full length ones and one small metre square, double height box (which was a freebie) and I use that for salad leaves and spring onions

Ok they're a bit posh for the lotty but mine were birthday presents so that's ok then  :D

xx
Soil type vs success

Started by Knoblauch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 21:01
by Knoblauch
xx
raised bed or not? soil type? how do i keep rabbits away?

Started by monkeyboysee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 21:10
by woodburner
xx
Moss-type growth on the soil

Started by Bodmass on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 19:42
by gobs
xx
what type of green manure for sandy soil please

Started by rubyrose on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 21:37
by rubyrose

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 34 queries.