First time Broody ( HELP )

• 15 Replies

TeaPots

Re: First time Broody ( HELP )
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 22:48 »
This is what I do for broodies... I always lift the girls out of bed, give them a quick check over (I use a baby wipe if they are poopy) and put them down beside the feeder. They stay outside for only five mins or so, do their huge, mega stinky broody poop, eat, drink and hurry back in. While they are eating, I take out any yucky straw, and replace with fresh around the edges (all well dusted with Diatom, as redmite really loves broody girls). 

If I dont want the girls to be broody, all I do is lift them out as often as I can, and at night, in the dark, after they have snuggled to sleep, I lift her onto the roosting perch for the night.

My way is probably no more effective than anyone elses, is probably less so, but thats what I do.

I would advise against using a broody to hatch at this time of year, UNLESS you have a warm, secure area for her and her babies (Such as a shed, garage) and facilities to take over if mum decides its all too much hassle. 

I hatch all year round, but using incubators, and hatch in small clutches that are easy to look after in my brooders in the dining room. Chickens such as silkies, and Araucanas are impossible to sex at a young age, so if I want to have some POL to sell in spring, I have to hatch through the winter.

question
My first time with a broody hen - what should i do?

Started by crem on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 22:08
by pheobe1
xx
My 1st time with a broody, so all new to me

Started by becksi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 00:00
by becksi
exclamation
Broody at this time!!

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 16:02
by jinty1911
xx
Broody resting time

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2007, 22:24
by slowef

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 39 queries.