What is this grub?

• 8 Replies

rowe1311

What is this grub?
« on: May 03, 2017, 20:33 »
A friend of mine is having problems in her garden and is wondering what might be causing it.  I have attached a few photos to see if anyone can help. 

Her plants are growing but starting to wilt and go yellow, including weeds like buttercups.  She thinks her neighbour might be spraying weedkiller over his side of the fence and it is ruining her garden, but some of these plants are a good metre or two away from the fence, so she is not too sure if that is what it is. 

She also doesn't know what the grub is in the picture and wonders whether this might be a pest causing the problems.  So before she goes to war with her neighbour over weedkiller, she wants to rule out that something else might be attacking her garden. 

Any advice? 
18254405_10155060872526233_378905481_n.jpg
18254685_10155060872181233_625406032_n.jpg
18302164_10155060874091233_395640524_n-2.jpg
18337089_10155060871796233_422299213_n.jpg

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: What is this grub?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 20:47 »
that looks like a leather jacket. I think they eat at just below ground level. not sure mind. I don't think its spray damage.

gobs

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 21:23 »
It's not wise to start a row with the neighbour at all, especially, if you cannot prove your point.

1st picture: could easily be frost damage
2nd picture: bulbs simply die back at this time of the year, it's normal for narcissi to look like this nowish. Buttercup under, most resembles some virus
3rd picture: donno, can be frost damage all the same(what is this plant? if what I'm thinking of, can't recall the name right now, def frost damage)

Saying all that, if weed killer was carelessly used (can be found out without a row), it would exactly land a few metres away from your fence.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 21:46 »
that looks like a leather jacket. I think they eat at just below ground level. not sure mind. I don't think its spray damage.

I think, you are right. Nor do leather jackets cause such sort of damage/symptoms.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 00:27 »
I don't think anyone could say conclusively that weed-killer was the cause in any of the photos. I have some sweet Williams over-wintered and they looked similar to photo 1.... caused by lack of water.

The grub looks very similar to a leather-jacket as has been said.

Go easy with the neighbours.

Our cat arrived home very poorly having wandered along the shared track at the end of the garden. Neighbour had used weed killer... vet said conjunctivitis - But I'm pretty sure it was wandering through newly applied weed killer - we didn't know about it at the time or we would have kept the cat indoors for the evening... not worth falling out with a neighbour over... I may mention it and ask if they could let me know before they spray so the cat can be kept in.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 02:39 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

rowe1311

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:28 »
Thanks for the replies, will pass it on.  The neighbours have been known to spray liberally, but not the easiest relationship so hard to know what to do if it is. 

Will let her know about leatherjacket.  First is perennial cornflower, 2nd not sure, maybe allium or daffodil, third is geranium, and fourth the grub. 

gobs

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 23:04 »
I was not thinking geranium, but still can be frost damage. The commonest culprit right now, even much further south.

Secondary weed killer damage commonly presents itself as distorted growth. We don't see any of that here.

rowe1311

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 12:36 »
Thanks for that, I am pleased it isn't weed killer and can rule that out.  Last year her garden did the same thing, but only on the side by the fence.  She has been putting in new mulch every year from a local recycling centre and last year it came from a different place, and I wondered if that might have been diseased.  But then some of the veg she had grown in it were fine.

I haven't experienced any frost damage on the same plants but perhaps my plants are stronger, I would think mine would be more exposed than hers as we are slightly higher. 

I will see how she is getting on with the leatherjacket detection. 

gobs

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 20:46 »
I am not saying, you can rule that out, but that it seems unlikely.

xx
Worm/grub

Started by sontab on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 22:36
by scabs
xx
chafer grub?

Started by green jack on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 23:07
by green jack

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.