Peppers
- Kaibi Round No 2
- Sweet Chocolate
- Peperone Topepo Rosso
- Jalapeno

Aubergines
- Calliope
- Melanzana Violetta di firenze

How many fruits am I likely to get from each plant?I am going to grow some in the greenhouse and some outside. We only did 7 of each which I think wil be enough of the jalepeno but I'm wondering if I should do more of the others

helluvatractor

Peppers and aubergines
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 17:33 »
if they all survive then seven of each will be more than enough. i had about 20 chili plants last year, and i had so many chilis i didnt know what to do with them. ( in the end made a huge jar of tabasco like sauce. still using it now.  although chilis don't tend to take up too much space in a pot, unlike the aubergines will.

but you never know that they'll all survive. so its definately worth planting a lot more than what you think you'll need. i had twenty nice tomatoes about 10" high doing lovely in the greenhouse until frost got to them.
if you end up with too many plants you can give them away, especially the chilis they make great presents in a pot. :D

purplebean

Peppers and aubergines
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:37 »
Thanks for thr reply I was begining to think that no one liked me  :(

The first three peppers are sweet ones and I'm worried that if I only get a couple of peppers per plant I won't have enough. I haven't grown peppers for about 15 years due to lack of space and can't remember what they are like for germinating. Although for some reason I almost always have every good luck with germination so it will be interesting to see how many come up. I might sow a few more just to make sure.

I have never grown aubergines and if truth be told no one in our house likes them. I have been persuading hubby that if we grow them they are bound to taste wonderful  :D

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Peppers and aubergines
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 15:30 »
Haha! I was vegetarian for 15 years, and have to say, it's hard to come up with lovable aubergine recipes. Yet every now and again, something will convince you it's a fine thing to eat. I reckon the best thing you can do with an eggplant is char it over a fire (you can do it on a gas stove) and make it into baba ghanouj. There's a fabulous recipe here:
http://tinyurl.com/22z6s7

Oliveview

Peppers and aubergines
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 15:36 »
What to do with an aubergine.......
Slice it thinly, dip in egg then coat it in flour and  shallow fry.  Drizzle honey over, lovely :D
My pepper plants had loads of fruit on each plant last year- I´m still working my way through them from the freezer :D .  Just hope this year is as good :D   The aubergines were slow starting last year  but soon made up for it :D
Pamela

Small Potatoes

Peppers and aubergines
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 17:02 »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! i luuurrrve aubergines!!!!
chop em into big chunks along with some peppers and courgettes, quarter some onions and tomatoes and pop em all in a bowl with some mushrooms then smother them with mashed garlic, fresh rosemary, thyme, basil and marjoram, lemon juice, lots of olive oil, salt and pepp.
mix it up, leave it for 8 hours or so, stick em on skewers and then bbq them.... yom yom yom! roll on the summer!

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
Peppers and aubergines
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 18:52 »
Make an aubergine curry -  Bootiful!! :D
He's my best buddy, my dog called Woody.
If it works, organic. If it don't, well.........??

gobs

Re: Peppers and aubergines
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 20:37 »
Quote from: "purplebean"
Yesterday we (actually my 4 year old) sowed the following

Peppers
- Kaibi Round No 2
- Sweet Chocolate
- Peperone Topepo Rosso
- Jalapeno

Aubergines
- Calliope
- Melanzana Violetta di firenze

How many fruits am I likely to get from each plant?I am going to grow some in the greenhouse and some outside. We only did 7 of each which I think wil be enough of the jalepeno but I'm wondering if I should do more of the others

Sweet chocolate and most Aubergine tend to grow very few fruits a season per plant, say 2-5 depending on variety, weather and circumstance, the chillis are usually prolific , I don't really know what people do with them other than for preserves and pickles as they also go a long way and children tend not to eat them. One plant is usually enough for just eating.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

purplebean

Re: Peppers and aubergines
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:55 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Sweet chocolate and most Aubergine tend to grow very few fruits a season per plant, say 2-5 depending on variety, weather and circumstance, the chillis are usually prolific , I don't really know what people do with them other than for preserves and pickles as they also go a long way and children tend not to eat them. One plant is usually enough for just eating.

Thank you. I need to sow some more peppers then as we use loads of them  :D

xx
Potting on aubergines and peppers

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2023, 14:20
by coldandwindy
xx
Too late for aubergines and peppers?

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 09:45
by SarahB
xx
Peppers, Chillis and Aubergines not germinating

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 29, 2018, 04:57
by Middlesexbloke
xx
Peppers tomatos and aubergines in the cool

Started by WhippetMaster on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 23:17
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 39 queries.