Bald chickens

• 3 Replies

Penny Finn

Bald chickens
« on: May 09, 2011, 21:49 »
I know I have gone on about this before!  Two of my chickens lost loads of their feathers during the winter.  One has almost recovered but the other one is very bald.  Looks as though she is already oven ready!  She (I assume it is her) hasn't laid an egg for at least a couple of months.  Is this normal and can anyone advise me whether the feathers - and the eggs - will return?
Many thanks
Gardening Granny
Gardening Granny

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Bald chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 22:20 »
when they go through a moult they generally don't lay as they need all their energy to go into egg laying. Take a close look at her and see if you can see any new quills poking through - other chickens do sometimes pluck these quills out  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 00:32 »
Am I correct in thinking this is a slightly odd time of year for moulting?  Hens around here are moulting heavily and I'm on the other side of the world from you!  Is it possible this hen is "hanging in the moult" ie she started moulting and then got kind of stuck...?

You're right, she will be the one who isn't laying.

Penny, how is the hen's general health?  Is there any way you can weigh her and work out if she is underweight compared to your other girls?  What food does she have as her staple diet?  It's possible that she might benefit from some extra protein or some vitamin supplements.

Penny Finn

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:27 »
Thank you for the responses.  She doesn't seem to have any new feathers growing at all.  Whereas the other baldy one is now covered in fluffy new feathers and is laying perfectly.  She (bald one) looks perfectly healthy, eats everything in sight but just looks awful and doesn't lay.  Bit of a mystery really. 
Gardening Granny

xx
Bald chickens

Started by cjknock on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 04:18
by joyfull
question
bald chickens

Started by MR C CHICKS on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 21:08
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bald Chickens

Started by ollies mom on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 16:45
by wadz81
xx
bald chickens

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 00:38
by Brambles

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 29 queries.