cockerel noise

• 9 Replies

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
cockerel noise
« on: September 27, 2009, 09:30 »
I have a bantam cockerel who is a joy to have around the garden as he is such a nice little character.

The only problem is the noise. He does not crow often, but sooner or later (probably when the mornings get lighter next spring, if not before) the neighbours are going to object.

Is there any way of stopping him crowing? The only alternative is probably death.

I keep him in a cardboard box over night and let him out at 8am, but even so he sometimes crows at first light.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 21:01 by Ice »

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Re: cockerel noise
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 11:46 »
Yes, i have struggled with that one as well and i am afraid i have always come back to the need to cull the bird in the end. A real shame as i would love a cockerel around the place. Apparently there is nothing that can be done to "remove" the possibility of a crowing noise since the noise is created throughout the whole respiratory canal and not in one particular point or organ. In any case it does not seem a very fair thing to do and i believe that it is illegal. This information came to me from a very helpful vet and so i will gladly be corrected if someone else knows better.

Kind Regards.
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 13:06 »
it's called caponizing and it is now illegal, it seems a shame that so many of these birds get culled just because they crow, i have 9 cockerals in my garden and they seldom wake me up (they are right outside my window) sometimes when i've hit the snooze button i can lie in bed and try and work out who's crowing, who went to bed in the wrong house, anyway i'd rather lie in bed listening to them than cars revving, radios blasting, and all the other things that neighbours do that are far noisier than a cockerel giving the odd crow.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 13:52 »
hi, we have a little one that i am sure is a cockerel :tongue2: We live in the middle of a houseing estate, so you can see there may be a problem. We have contacted enviromenal health to ask for advice, stating that we didnt mean to buy a cockerel, but we are sure thats what we have, we asked if there were any alternatives to culling.The man we spoke to was very nice, kept chickens himself, so he understood. He said as long as we can stop/minimise noise before 7am, preferably before 8am, and he didnt crow continuously, there wasnt alot people could do. So we are going to sleep him in a smallish dog crate under the stairs when he starts to crow, then not let him out till 8am. Also, there are no other cokerels around, so he wont be competing. Hopefully this will work. if he makes too much noise,,and i get complaints, or if it really stresses him out sleeping in the dog crate, then we will have to look at other options...for now tho, thats how we are going to cope with haveing a boy :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 13:59 »
It's a shame people on housing estates are like that!  Like you say, radios blast away, kids yell and scream, cars and bikes rev engines, but no one complains about that!  We are a little down on cockerals at the moment, we only have 9 apart from the meat chicks and they are too young to crow, but I barely hear them now!! :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 15:11 »
well we may have a beautiful cuckoo maren free to a good home grannie ;)

Big Jen

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 18:32 »
I have 23 bantam cockerels and I dont really hear them crowing in the mornings and most of them are near my bedroom window ::). Fortunately I dont have any very close neighbours.
I also have a dutch bantam hen that crows as loud as the boys :mad:

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 19:54 »
he he he , i have one of thoes ??? people ask me if i have a cockerel, and when i tell them its actually just a little hen that anounces everything, they laugh :D

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 20:28 »
Thanks for your replies, folks.

I did wonder about an operation to do something to the vocal cords, but even that would be a shame as I like to hear his chucklings as he rummages about in the garden.
Would neutering actually make any difference? They neuter dogs, but they still bark. Would it still be illegal if done under anasthetic?

My DH mentioned that we have a cockerel to the neighbour 2 doors away and she said that she had never heard him.
We have had him for only 3 weeks but are in love already. The big hens hate him and would eat him alive if we allowed them together.

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 20:50 »
An old chap I know who keeps a cockerel on his allotment, keeps him in a small box (height wise) at night ... apparently, if he can't raise his head he can't crow ... so  keeps him quite until he's let out, poor thing don't sound very comfy but I'm told it does work

xx

exclamation
cockerel noise and the law

Started by freebirdy on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:33
by Tony H
xx
Noise?

Started by francais on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 20:13
by grumpydad
xx
New noise.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:17
by raeburg
xx
Weird noise

Started by ness on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 12, 2008, 13:23
by ness

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 28 queries.