Creatures

• 12 Replies

Blackpool rocket

Creatures
« on: May 08, 2020, 10:01 »
I went out to open the greenhouse this morning and have been greeted by this;

I'm sure most have had far worse, but it has made me want to give up. I was going to thin my carrots today, never grown them before and I was really pleased they'd come up. Now I want to catch whatever did this and give it a good stern telling off, I wouldn't want to upset anyone by getting too carried away.

Either a badger or fox, we're over run with foxes and the badgers seem to be going the same way. I have been fighting a losing battle with them smashing down fence panels, they would start by undermining them and then just smash their way through. I have left a large hole for them to use and that seems to work. I replaced the last 2 of 18 fence panels on Tuesday. Except that now they've turned their destruction to my garden. They're determined to destroy all my efforts to produce something good.
Nasty verminous, destructive,...apparently I'm not allowed to put random symbols or asterisks here because it might upset someone.
If you're able to use your imagination and it perhaps contains something suitable to fill in the place where the symbols or asterisks would normally go, feel free to add your own, or perhaps your vocabulary only goes so far as fluffy or cuddly or lovely or cute.
Nasty verminous, destructive, disease ridden pests.....where's my gun.....if only I had one.
IMG_20200508_091608498.jpg
IMG_20200508_091656198.jpg
IMG_20200508_091709780.jpg
IMG_20200508_091718572.jpg
IMG_20200508_091721845.jpg

mrs bouquet

Re: Creatures
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:29 »
I had something going on, but not nearly as bad as that.    I put a whole egg out overnight, and in the morning it had gone.   A local expert !!  told me it was a fox,  because the badger would not do that.
What ever it is,  most annoying  when trashing your hard work.    We had badgers at a different house, they used to break the fence down, whereas the foxes would jump over and burrow under.  I hope you find out who the culprit is, but how do deal with him, that's a different matter.  Good Luck.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 14:09 »
Looks as if they made the hole under the netting, so not an animal that makes holes by digging down ;) I'd suggest voles, they make tunnels underground like moles, and then up to the surface, but don't leave a pile of earth on top like moles do.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 17:54 »
Looks as if they made the hole under the netting, so not an animal that makes holes by digging down ;) I'd suggest voles, they make tunnels underground like moles, and then up to the surface, but don't leave a pile of earth on top like moles do.
What about the pot of carrots, they weren't in there when I sowed the seed  ;)
They have gone all along the edge of the netting and forced their way in where it isn't staked to the ground  ;)
The patch in the centreish is where two pieces of netting join, they've forced their way in at the join  ;)
A couple of the holes where they've been digging are 150mm square and 150mm deep  ;)
So yes, I think made by animal by digging down  ;)
I'm going to try and stay up tonight to catch the culprit  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 11:13 »
Probably rats  :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 11:36 »
I would agree that at least some of that damage is voles or rats.

It is frustrating when your efforts are trashed by creatures.  A bit of anglo saxon muttering can vent a lot of anguish.  We don't allow it on here as it does offend some people, even if disguised.  People also read stuff on here with their kids.  It stops any questions about what that word means.  It is not necessary to get your point across, so I can't see any issue with that as a site policy.  Similarly with replies that put forward other views or opinions.  That is what a forum is for. 

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 12:58 »
I would agree that at least some of that damage is voles or rats.

Would they make such large holes though, and all over the "lawn" as well. Just random holes. I wouldn't have thought rats and voles would spend that length of time out in the open, many yards from the nearest "cover"

I take your point about Anglo Saxon. I wrote to the BBC a couple of years back about an afternoon play, R4 14.20 after The Archers. There was a veritable tirade of Anglo Saxon, pretty much everything apart from the extremes.
I received a reply stating that in this day and age it was considered acceptable and well within their guidelines. :ohmy:
I'm by no means saying it's right, and this isn't the place to discuss it, although a discussion won't take place. Your rules, take it or leave it. Fair enough. All things considered I didn't actually write a naughty word, just thought it...call the thought police :D

Sorry to all those people I offended.

I did stay out for an hour or so at about 01.00 There was a great deal of noise from the bottom of the garden which sounded like they were playing with one of those plastic pot holder trays, we've got a few. I've not been down there yet to investigate but if a vole had got one of those in it's mouth, I wouldn't like to meet it.  :D
Nothing came up to the "lawn" possibly cautious about the light I'd rigged up. I'll try and go out a little earlier tonight. There is no further damage to the strawberries from my quick look first thing.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 13:57 »
I carefully rescued what I could and sowed some more which germinated about a week ago.
This morning I was greeted with this.

You may fill in this space with whatever expletives you would care to use, not for me to say!

IMG_20200521_134538102.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 21:32 »
Oh dear  :mad:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 12:59 »
And another one.
I was "growing" some lettuce stumps, just for a bit of fun. They had all sprouted new growth. This morning I'm greeted with 4 empty spaces. No damage, no sign of the stumps, just lifted straight from the soil and carted off.  :mad: :mad:
IMG_20200604_124858970.jpg

Ema

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 10:54 »
I'm also thinking a giant rat.

I had a few in the garden in spring and had to deal with them.

They were digging in most pots, under the fence and driving the dog mad.

If its any consolation, the pigeons have eaten my cabbage, pak choi, swiss chard and beetroot, in 1 day! I should have known better

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 11:57 »
I feel for you about the pigeons. It appears the more we try and conserve, the easier it is for vermin to take control. We seem to have lost the balance.  :mad:
I have a rat/squirrel trap in place, well secured to the ground, it's been there for a few days, unbaited. I'm going to bait it tonight.  :mad:
I shan't be holding my breath though!

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 13:31 »
My trap remains empty, unlike the guts of rodents that demolished my Radish.

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 53 queries.