Cleared my carrots, what next

• 7 Replies

Kathogur

Cleared my carrots, what next
« on: September 13, 2016, 21:15 »
I had a small patch with carrots and today I have had what was left.  So what can I plant in that bed now.  I would like some sort of brassica, never grown any before.  So what could I use, when do I plant and do I start with seed or what???   Told you I was a real novice.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleared my carrots, what next
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 10:55 »
Its a bit late for seed, but you can buy brassica plants either mail order from the seed companies or at the garden centre. 

You will need to net them to keep cabbage white butterflies and pigeons off them, so that might determine your choice of crop.  Cabbage only need a low net, whereas kale grows much taller, so needs a bigger structure to cover it  :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 11:45 »
I'll be sowing some spinach soon, as long as it's netted, it should be OK for a while at least!

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 16:21 »
I'll be sowing some spinach soon, as long as it's netted, it should be OK for a while at least!

I sowed spinach a couple of weeks ago, in some vacant space. It's coming up a treat, and, with luck, I should get a crop from it.  I have also sowed some radishes, as I didn't get anything from my earlier sowings, and they are going great guns.  No flea beetle damage, and lovely clean radishes.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 19:41 »

I sowed spinach a couple of weeks ago, in some vacant space. It's coming up a treat, and, with luck, I should get a crop from it.  I have also sowed some radishes, as I didn't get anything from my earlier sowings, and they are going great guns.  No flea beetle damage, and lovely clean radishes.

Interesting about your radishes, Jay.

I love 'em, but they always seem to be at the back of the queue, so, as I've just found the seed packet, an idea springs to mind..;0)

Kathogur

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 14:52 »
I will have a look round and see what I can find.  If I dont get to do anything this year now I will have some ready for next year.  Seems a waste to leave naked ground .  thank you again all

mrsbean

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 23:48 »
I planted purple spouting broccoli today, garden centres still have veg plants.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 16:12 »
I will have a look round and see what I can find.  If I dont get to do anything this year now I will have some ready for next year.  Seems a waste to leave naked ground .  thank you again all

I understand where you're coming from, but don't forget that it's good agricultural practice to leave ground fallow sometimes.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
allotment cleared

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:55
by sunshineband
xx
New Plot - Just Cleared

Started by DaveM on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 13:08
by Christine
xx
What to do with recently cleared space?

Started by Audy70 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2014, 19:13
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 34 queries.