After the Summer has gone....

• 2 Replies

Heidi

« on: July 17, 2008, 11:50 »
My Summer veg is all looking fab and tasting even better, but I have no idea what to do with my veg patch once the summer is over and I've eaten or frozen things.  So far, I've grown potatoes, calabrese, onions, runners, Fench and broad beans, peas, carrots, spring onions and radishes.

What can I grow which can be picked during the Autumn or Winter months?  My patch is starting to look patchy so it would be great to get new stuff in if I'm not too late.  Already, the thought of having to buy veg during the Winter fills me with dread and guilt.

Thanks in advance for any advice.   :)

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:28 »
I would look to plant the brassicas at this time of year (purple sprouting broccoli, spring cabbage, swede, cauliflower), lettuces and other salad type crops (radicchio), maybe dwarf french beans, beetroot, turnips, early carrots for harvest in the autumn, think about overwintering garlic, onions and shallots for next year. There's quite a lot to be growing but I would get things started asap - especially with the brassicas.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 13:18 »
kale is a good winter veg.  I like Spinach Bordeaux which is sown from September and gives you fresh leaves come spring. It has beautiful leaves too which can be eaten at the baby stage or left to grow larger  :D I like winter lettuces too and had good results with the ones I grew from plants grown from seed.  Cornet di Bordeux was a good one and is totally hardy. You can get winter hardy spring onions too - try the White Lisbon winter variety

xx
Summer at last

Started by coatesi on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 15:52
by Weatherwatcher
xx
Summer psb

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 21:36
by someoneorother
xx
well thats almost it for this summer !!

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 13:05
by yummy
xx
NZ Summer

Started by coatesi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 06:36
by coatesi

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.