« on: September 08, 2011, 08:31 »
Hi all    what is the best way to store pumpkins,   any advice pls

Edited to correct spelling for search purposes
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 17:28 by DD. »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Storing pumkins
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:40 »
somewhere cool, dry and airy 10-15C is ideal. I store mine in the spare unheated bedroom :)

Try not to store them in a shed, as that was too cold during the last 2 winters and the pumpkins were rotting :(

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 21:26 »
Also they dont like too much moisture or cuddling-up. i keep mine apart and store on old news-papers

GSDPenny

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 14:24 »
Mine keep far longer than ever before now that I sit them on a warm, south facing windowsill.  Doesn't make sense does it?  But I've previously kept them in a shed (didn't last beyond December as too cold and damp), on some shelving in an unheated, north facing spare bedroom (made it to end of January before rotting), but since living on the windowsill in our lounge they lasted until May for the last 2 years.

I make sure I wash and dry them thoroughly as the slightest bit of mud seems to eat through the skin, keep a good stem on them but never handle it by that, and allow at least a cm air flow between them.

Yes, it's a little eccentric, and I'm lucky to have big windows and a deep/wide windowsill, but I grow winter festival as well as standard butternuts so they actually look quite pretty.  And most visitors leave clutching at least one as a going home present.

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 16:52 »
I think the secret to storing pumpkins is that they are very much still alive and like warm climates. Last year my pumpkins were just stored on a shelf in the kitchen and they lasted 6 months (until we ate them). Cold dark places kill them and then the rot sets it.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:57 »
Mine keep far longer than ever before now that I sit them on a warm, south facing windowsill.  Doesn't make sense does it?  But I've previously kept them in a shed (didn't last beyond December as too cold and damp), on some shelving in an unheated, north facing spare bedroom (made it to end of January before rotting), but since living on the windowsill in our lounge they lasted until May for the last 2 years.

I make sure I wash and dry them thoroughly as the slightest bit of mud seems to eat through the skin, keep a good stem on them but never handle it by that, and allow at least a cm air flow between them.

Yes, it's a little eccentric, and I'm lucky to have big windows and a deep/wide windowsill, but I grow winter festival as well as standard butternuts so they actually look quite pretty.  And most visitors leave clutching at least one as a going home present.

Snap!  :D

xx
JAM PUMPKINS

Started by compostqueen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 10:52
by compostqueen
question
what to do with bland pumpkins

Started by newby on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 19:46
by mumofstig
xx
Can anything be done with unripe pumpkins?

Started by Oscar Too on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 13:04
by Oscar Too
xx
Beloved pumpkins...

Started by jacnal on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 21:26
by DD.

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 36 queries.