Planting Tubers

• 9 Replies

Spanky855

Planting Tubers
« on: March 25, 2007, 19:09 »
Evening everyone

I have just been reading up on planting seed potatoes and nowhere have I read which way the chits are to point.
Can anyone tell me if they have to point up or down.
First growing year so appoligies if its a daft question,

Regards

Lee

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Planting Tubers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 19:13 »
The only way is up.........

Cue song.

But they'd still grow if you planted them downside up.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Planting Tubers
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 19:19 »
If you look really carefully at it, you'll see that most of the tiny shoots ( chits) are pointing upwards..sometimes its hard to tell and on some of mine some were growing the opposite way ! I planted with the most little shoots pointing upwards... fingers crossed..ps the little shoots on mine were really small..... :D
trying to be organic....

Spanky855

Planting Tubers
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 19:26 »
Thanks guys

I will get them in tomorrow no i know  :D

agapanthus

Planting Tubers
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 19:28 »
I always try to find the 'belly button' of the potatoe and put that at the bottom of the tray or whatever I'm chitting the potatoes in. Mind you, it can be a bit of a * to find!!  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Planting Tubers
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 20:08 »
While turning over the TV Friday, there was a little bit of an old The Good Life on, and Richard Briers had just made a long handled potato planter.  He said to his wife, look, its easy, you put the potatoes in here, turn the handle and one drops out the bottom, right in the trench.  And did you notice I didn't have to bend down to do it, hence, no aching back!!!

Felicity kendall said, but the eyes won't be facing upwards will they?  that's okay he said, you can follow along behind and turn them up the right way!!!! lol

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Planting Tubers
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 20:11 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
I always try to find the 'belly button' of the potatoe and put that at the bottom of the tray or whatever I'm chitting the potatoes in. Mind you, it can be a bit of a * to find!!  :lol:

So's mine - not seen it for years!

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Planting Tubers
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 20:33 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
While turning over the TV Friday, there was a little bit of an old The Good Life on, and Richard Briers had just made a long handled potato planter.  He said to his wife, look, its easy, you put the potatoes in here, turn the handle and one drops out the bottom, right in the trench.  And did you notice I didn't have to bend down to do it, hence, no aching back!!!

Felicity kendall said, but the eyes won't be facing upwards will they?  that's okay he said, you can follow along behind and turn them up the right way!!!! lol

Ha Ha excellent... a job for Mother Bear!! :D

purplebat

Planting Tubers
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 20:34 »
planted our potatoes today, in between the chicken fiasco, I took off the smallest shoots, leaving about 3 of the most vigorous ones, and put them in pointing upwards, but as digger dave says, they will still grow up regardless
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Planting Tubers
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 22:43 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"

Hi Αγαπάνθυς,
I don't know what you mean by the "belly button" of the spud, but I was really surprised when, after placing my seed potatoes as seemed the right way up for chitting (ie with what looked like the "eyes" upwards) and leaving them covered (as I had been told to leave them in the dark for a few weeks) when I got fed up waiting, I looked underneath and almost without exception, all the chits were there- at the bottom :roll:
My first lesson in expecting whatever happens  :D
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

xx
Potatoes tubers

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 23, 2014, 14:16
by Totty
xx
potato tubers

Started by GAZBEE on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 18:20
by Kristen
xx
Potato Tubers

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:09
by Ivor Backache
xx
Jerusalem Artichoke Tubers

Started by mudbucket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 09:15
by bigben

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 38 queries.