Raspberries

• 2 Replies

Jd1980

Raspberries
« on: September 21, 2020, 11:06 »
Hi

Took on the second half of my plot this year.

There were raspberry canes all cut down to the ground .

They all fruited this year in the summer , one had lighter green leaves and bore alot more fruit than the others .

I don't know what to do with them now if I cut them all down will they all come back and bear fruit next year ?

A few at the back didn't produce much .
I have no idea how old these plants are

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 11:51 »
Autumn fruiting raspberries produce fruit on the new canes appearing each spring, so are cut down to the ground after cropping is over. Slightly confusingly, if not cut down, some of the canes survive the winter to produce a small crop the next summer.

Summer fruiting raspberries crop on the new canes produced the previous year, so only the canes which have fruited are cut down, leaving the new canes to bear the next year's fruit.

So, if you don't know which yours are, best way of covering both bases is to cut down any canes which have fruited (they will look woodier, and bear the remains of the fruit stalks.)

If they all appear to have borne fruit, odds are yours are an autumn fruiting variety.

In the longer term, you might want to consider starting a new raspberry patch, using suckers produced by the healthiest looking existing plants.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wighty

Re: Raspberries
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 17:46 »
I'm sorry to hijack this, but I can't forget my Mum looking so proud of herself when my Dad walked in the door and she told him she had cut down all the 'runners' that had grown out of his raspberry patch!  We didn't have any raspberries the next year and she never 'helped' out again. 

xx
New to raspberries.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 12, 2022, 12:57
by JayG
xx
Raspberries (1 pic)

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 12:26
by pumpkinpatch
xx
Raspberries

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 21:17
by Matthew Gayles
xx
Raspberries

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 22:35
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 40 queries.