strawbs

• 10 Replies

andy dewar

strawbs
« on: May 25, 2014, 14:42 »
 :D Just picked my first strawbs of the year all 2 of them loads on the way they were delicious  :)

m1ckz

Re: strawbs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 15:50 »
me too    but i got 12 lol

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 16:09 »
Ditto, and it's taken a while to build up a decent patch without spending out. Many are second and third year plants from past runners and they really are looking prolific this year. Good enough to net carefully, might even get some straw.
Is it my imagination or are mostly all crops looking pretty good ? Mine certainly are. I can't help feeling the weather has been pretty kind this year since the Winter horrors.

andy dewar

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 20:42 »
Hi Bees i agree everything is coming up rosy haha as you say the weather has been pretty perfect

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 21:11 »
I would have to disagree - the very mild wet winter has caused no end of problems on my plot - things I didn't have last year - rust, flea beetle and now something deforming my onions grrr!

Got lots of strawbs coming though!

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 21:46 »
I had 14 (note the word HAD) only 10 made it home as I scoffed the other 4 :D :D

They are delicious, the kids and myself just had Strawberries and Icecream after our tea Yummy Yummy Yummy!!!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 13:30 »
I've had a few already but the woodlice are starting to get interested, and I won't use powder....it's going to be a problem again, any organic ideas?  :nowink:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 15:37 »
The RHS site says that woodlice only eat them after the slugs or snails have started the damage. So you need to make sure you are slug/snail free. I use the organic pellets and beer traps. I am also thinking about how to mulch round my strawbs as I know straw attracts woodlice - but bare soil isn't good for strawberries is it?

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 18:58 »

I've just picked my first strawbs (8) ,hopefully will have plenty ,as I have over 1000 strawberry plants !

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 19:19 »
The RHS site says that woodlice only eat them after the slugs or snails have started the damage. So you need to make sure you are slug/snail free. I use the organic pellets and beer traps. I am also thinking about how to mulch round my strawbs as I know straw attracts woodlice - but bare soil isn't good for strawberries is it?
Aha!  Thanks, you are so right- last summer I didn't see any slugs (it was hot remember) so only saw the woodlice, just popped out in the rain (as was house-crazy) and there was a good 20 of them having a giant strawberry party!  I did a slug sweep & destroy and pelleted, salvaged some strawbs and picked some slightly under ripe.  There are loads of strawbs coming on, lets hope that will keep it down.  Will be vigilant now  :mad:

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 19:37 »
Ditto, and it's taken a while to build up a decent patch without spending out. Many are second and third year plants from past runners and they really are looking prolific this year. Good enough to net carefully, might even get some straw.
Is it my imagination or are mostly all crops looking pretty good ? Mine certainly are. I can't help feeling the weather has been pretty kind this year since the Winter horrors.

A quick comment from the North.  All crops looking pretty good including strawbs, although they are only just losing their flowers so fruit is a way off compared to you southerners. 

xx
strawbs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 20:45
by Trillium
xx
Well, that's it then - strawbs.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 04, 2023, 18:21
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Strawbs - should I?

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 21:11
by Erfurt
xx
strawbs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 00:08
by Dan78

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 28 queries.