Question abouts Peas & Beans

• 3 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Question abouts Peas & Beans
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:51 »
Hi all, I am going to grow peas and beans for the first time, and wondered if anyone could help answer a few questions for me (probably stupid questions). 

-  I will be sowing them in a raised bed about 2.5m x 1.2m.  I Was thinking of making two long rows, and sowing peas in the first half of each row and then long beans in the other half of the rows.  Is this the best way?

- Can the climbing structure be the same all along the bed for both peas and beans - I was going to use bamboo canes (pyramid shape) all along the bed, but then heard that peas wont grip onto bamboo, is that correct? (Already bought the bamboo!)

- Would I build the structure only once the peas and beans have germinated?  Because I was thing of initially covering the bed with netting to stop birds from taking the seeds, then later removing the netting and building the structure.

- Do the bamboo poles have to be inserted at every interval where peas or sown or can it be less accurate than that?

- Will about 6 foot canes be ok for both peas and beans?

Thanks a lot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Question abouts Peas & Beans
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 15:06 »
I presume you are growing tall peas?

Buy some cheap pea netting if you don't fancy running strings along the length of the bed, from cane to cane, for the peas to cling on to. The beans will climb up the poles given a little encouragement, at first.

I put up my cane frame first and plant/sow the beans around each cane. netting draped along the rows on the outside of the canes is usually enough to stop the birds until germination - I find.

I use 8ft canes, pushed well into the soil for stability and tied together at the top - the beans still reach the top.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 16:06 »
That's very helpful, thankyou.

As it happens, Ive checked the peas I bought and actually they will only grow about two feet, so I will just use some long twigs or single pieces of short bamboo I guess.

I wonder what the best set-up would be for growing both these short peas and also climbing beans in the same bed?  Perhaps just two rows for half the length of the bed for the peas, using short pieces of bamboo along the rows, and then climbing beans in two rows for the second half of the bed, using long pieces of cane to make triangles, tied at the top.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 16:35 »
Short rows of peas in one half and a wigwam of beans in t'other half. One cane every foot or so around the circle - 2 beans per cane  ;)

simple way to support peas here..............
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.msg602767#msg602767

xx
peas and beans question

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 11:47
by DD.
xx
Question about my Peas and Runner Beans

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 22:56
by SalJ1980
xx
Peas and runner beans question

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 18:59
by Babstreefern
xx
Beans and Peas

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 21:22
by DavidT

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 38 queries.