cheapest green house

• 15 Replies

veggies

cheapest green house
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:01 »
I have been looking for a new ( my 1st green house ) on the net and trying to find the best bargain, where would you say is the cheapest place for a green house off about 6x6 or 6x8, cheers,

also if i put some large pot around the garden, will soil in etc what could i grow ......I am very new to this and hope to get into growing my own veggies etc for the kids, cheers folks. Paul

penance

Re: cheapest green house
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 12:14 »
I got a Popular 6x8 from the greenhouse people last year for about £350, was best deal at the time.

Dont bother with polycarb windows, unless you like the idea of chasing them when a brezze picks up.

Shaney D

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:24 »
got an 8x6 polycarb from buyaparcel.com last year less than £300 and £3.95 postage.

Good greenhouse, seal the polycarb in with clear silicon onto the glazing gasket and they will all stay in place. well i haven't lost any anyway.

Has pro's and cons against glass

hope it helps

Shane

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 13:02 »
hi veggies you can grow most things in pots, what would you or they like to grow ?
may i suggest that kids like to see things happening so a tomato plant may be a good idea and salad leaf mix grows realy fast and you can cut it and it will grow back , a favourite with kids also is carrots you can get them round golf ball ones that are especialy for pots and courgette, radish, dwarf french beans and a potatoe kit £6 from homebase you get 3 varietys of potatoes and 3 sacks to grow them in with instructions, there is nothing more exciting than turning out a spud pot to see what you have and they can be ready in 8weeks.
why dont you buy johns book as advertised on here and you will get free seeds worth more than the book  ;)
also check out the bbc dig in programme they are giving step by step instructions
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/digin/on_tour/
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 13:10 »
I bought a Norfolk Ultimate Greenhouse  6x6 £179 and 6x8 £229 with £25 delivery.

I also put polycarb glazing in with silicon sealant, and have had no problems :)

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 14:01 »
Bought mine from halls popular 6x10 with 3mm glass from here

http://www.hallsgreenhouses.co.uk/

Excellent service and the best price for new I could find.

If you can find something on Ebay/freecycle thats going to be considerably cheaper but you have to be able to move it, the glass alone for mine was 16 stone. Then you'll have to replace anything thats broken  or worn.

digalotty

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 13:27 »
b&q have a plastic module one for £160i think it was a 6x4 looked tidy for the price

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 21:18 »
Have you tried freecycle.org? Register there and if you manage to find 1 it will cost you nothing

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 21:31 »
b&q have a plastic module one for £160i think it was a 6x4 looked tidy for the price

on line their cheapest is frame £129 plus polycarb £74 for a 6 x 6

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 23:11 »
I paid £100 for a second hand 6' x 8' aluminium and glass one. I had to replace two bits of glass and buy  some new nuts and bolts and glazing clips, which has an extra £10 on top.

Greenhouses are  bit like guitars - you are better off buying a good secondhand one than a cheap nasty new one.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 23:54 »
My two greenhouse came off eBay. Had to wait a while to get what I wanted and in the right part of the country!  Freecycle is another source. My advice would be to get the biggest you can.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:36 »
than a cheap nasty new one.

I bought my cheap nasty new one (which isn't nasty at all  >:( ) because I didn't want glass in the garden with small grandchildren 8)
Each to their own eh?

Shaney D

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 09:32 »

Me too Mum and mine's not nasty either in fact the twinwall polycarb offers great insulation in the cooler months..

Slowgrind

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 18:51 »
Don't be afraid to ask someone with an obviously unused G.H. in the garden if they want to get rid of it! You could be doing them a favour! You may have to take it down and put it up again. Then you'll know all about greenhouse construction by the time it's done.  :D

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 19:22 »
Ebay i got 2 from there and one from the sales and wants forum at work.  You can get some good things on there towards the 25th of the months hahahahha.
Thanks
Kris

xx
green house window

Started by massa on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 22:36
by Trikidiki
xx
green house heaters

Started by stan deakin on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 21:31
by rowlandwells
xx
green house glass

Started by massa on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 23:02
by compostqueen
xx
4' x 6' green house owners a question

Started by starry on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 14:02
by starry

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 36 queries.