beetroot

• 35 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
beetroot
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 23:22 »
Do you want to get me shot Karen?  lol  OH would kill me if I drizzled anything over his beetroot!!! lol.

shirazcat

beetroot
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 11:30 »
Hi all,  :D
               Try this for a different way to use beetroot. Cook & peel as normal 5 or 6 small/ medium beets, when cool enough dice roughly into small pieces.
 Take half a packet of raspberry jelly, (6 cubes), dissolve in hot water, boil 1/4 pint distilled vinegar & 1/4 pint water, pour this on to jelly. Put diced beets into clean jars, & pour on the vinegar/jelly mix. Cool & then fridge to set the jelly. This will keep in a cupboard for ages & is brilliant served with pork pies, cold meats or other savoury cold bits.
                                                                         Adrian.
life is too short for work

James

• Experienced Member
beetroot
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 09:50 »
Quote from: "pixieface"
I usually use meduin sized beetroot, cook them in water for 20 minutes after they come to the boil. Leave them in the saucepan to cool down.

The skins just peel off, slice them up and put them in a kilner jar and then half fill the jar with white vinegar and then fill to cover the beetroot with water, this will keep for ages in the fridge. It will also keep quite well in a dark cupboard, the vinegar acts as a preservative so you can have beetroot at Christmas.

The whole point of preserving (pickling in this case) is so that you DON'T have to refrigerate.  Try this recipe - and pay attention to the instructions on sterilising those Kilner jars.

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Preserves/Sweet%20Pickled%20Beetroot%20%20%20Veg%20%20%20CD%20%20%20%20ACC.htm

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
beetroot
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 22:43 »
I don't water down my vinegar, and OH's beetroot ( I don't like the stuff myself!) keeps for a year almost, but only because he ate it all a month before I planted my new lot of seeds this year!!!! lol

Oliver

Beetroot jelly!
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 23:19 »
Quote from: "shirazcat"
raspberry jelly and beetroot

This sound really interesting. they love beetroot - unvinegared. Will have a go!
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
beetroot
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 13:52 »
have to say we prefer it just boiled and peeled,my 3 yr old daughter is hooked on the stuff and ive just harvested my last lot :(

earthgirl

beetroot
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 00:05 »
Trim them, then wrap in aluminium foil and bake at 180C for an hour (for small ones) or longer for large ones. Skins will slip right off when they're done. Sweeter taste than boiling, IMHO.

hayles62

• Experienced Member
Beet and Beef
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 13:35 »
I chucked a load in one of my basic Beef Curries yesterday and it was lovely but don't eat it in your best white shirt :shock:

Balaton Ben

beetroot
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 09:48 »
question. Can one eat raw beetroot? au gratin? sliced? any ideas?

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
beetroot
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 10:46 »
Quote from: "Balaton Ben"
question. Can one eat raw beetroot? au gratin? sliced? any ideas?

Yes you can. Great grated in a salad. You can also juice it with carrots, apple and some ginger for an excellent fatigue fighting juice. It's all I've done successfully. Next time I have some I'll try one of the recipes above.
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

Balaton Ben

beetroot
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 19:53 »
many tnx Jacnal, the missus is doing some now as I type................

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
beetroot
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 20:59 »
had my first 2 baby beet grated raw on my salad tonight - very nice!

is there still time to sow more?  not sure where but i'd like to if i can find space!!

splodger

beetroot
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 16:49 »
Trim them, then wrap in aluminium foil and bake at 180C for an hour (for small ones) or longer for large ones. Skins will slip right off when they're done. Sweeter taste than boiling, IMHO.

i do something similar - but i add garlic, fresh oregano and thyme (any herb will do) squeeze of lemon, dash of balsamic and drizzle of olive oil - they are scrummy.

i also made beetroot chutney last year - that was fab too.

or why not try beetroot with fresh horseradish

KIM200

beetroot
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 15:21 »
Quote from: "mellowmick"
I'm quite keen to try Katt's beetroot and chocolate cake (see further down the topic list in this section)

Just thinking about making that now but i have no corn oil could i use olive or sunflower oil instead do you think.?
kim

WG.

beetroot
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 15:23 »
Quote from: "KIM200"
Quote from: "mellowmick"
I'm quite keen to try Katt's beetroot and chocolate cake (see further down the topic list in this section)

Just thinking about making that now but i have no corn oil could i use olive or sunflower oil instead do you think.?
kim

Sunflower. I think olive oil would be too strongly flavoured

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.