Acer from seed?

• 8 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
Acer from seed?
« on: May 08, 2011, 16:00 »
Has anyone had success growing acers from seed...

I followed instructions keep moist for few weeks in compost then chill in fridge for 8 weeks...they have just come out of the fridge nothng showing yet.....so im wondering how long they take to come up and if anyone has been successful with these...

Thanks

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: Acer from seed?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 18:04 »
I am not sure on the answer, but this year is the first year my Japanese acer has seed pods forming i have had it about 5 years now. I would just put some in a pot and leave them to it acer seem to pop up all over the place at work with out to much trouble.
Thanks
Kris

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 00:17 »
Although it is possible to grow from seed they take an awful long time to get to a decent size which is why people tend to buy trees.

hardcj

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:16 »
The seeds are a true pain to germinate and they take forever to grow a decent size too! The only other way to cultivate them is to do cuttings......I'm trying some at the moment. But don't despair, they do take a while to show so don't give up just yet!

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 16:43 »
They were free seeds anyway so nothing to loos if they dont grow, i dont mind them taking ages to grow, going to keep in the house as bonsai for couple of years anyway.. i just  thought it would be a change, by the time the are a decent ish size and ready to go outside i might have decided where they will live  :D

plum crumble

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 17:21 »
hmm! My Acers have all produced seeds for the first time this year - I was wondering exactly the same thing, so thanks for this thread!!!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 17:28 »
hmm! My Acers have all produced seeds for the first time this year - I was wondering exactly the same thing, so thanks for this thread!!!

I've never even thought about my 6 year old acer flowering (don't think it has either!)

It's an absolutely beautiful little tree (one of the red dissectum varieties) but given its rate of growth and my current age I don't think I'd be trying to reproduce it even if it did produce seeds!  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 21:12 »
Well now that is interesting as we have an acer that is about 5 years old and it too is producing seeds for the first time this year.
Could it have anything to do with the cold weather we had do you think?

We have taken 5 cuttings from ours and are waiting patiently to see if they will take.  :unsure:

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 17:16 »
I have also got seeds on some of my Acers this year for the first time.  I will wait until they are ready to fall off then just stick them in a pot in the back of the greenhouse and forget about them for the winter.

From what I understand the seeds should be ready to come off the trees in about August September, then if you pot them they should start growing in about Spring.

I'm assuming the soil needs to be almost dry or they will rot.

xx
acer

Started by davidmw on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 23:01
by chrissie B
xx
Acer

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 10:29
by sunshineband
xx
help, bugs on acer

Started by pedro on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 08:10
by sunshineband
xx
acer looking very dead

Started by Sleepingpopman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 13:01
by JayG

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 40 queries.