Compost Bin

• 15 Replies

La Jardinère

Compost Bin
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:01 »
I am a newbie and so am doing everything for the first time.  I bought one of those green plastic "dalek" compost bins and have been merrily filling it up.  I read somewhere that you need to " turn" your compost heap regularly to keep it working - how is this achieved with one of the bins like mine please?  :unsure:
LJ

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Compost Bin
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:07 »
Welcome to the forum.

You could lift it off and place it by the side of the compost.  A good kicking will help ease it off.  Then refill.
Cheese makes everything better.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 23:25 »
Unfortunately, Ice is right. That's the big problem with those dalek type composters - almost impossible to turn the contents, which is how you get the lovely compost. If you don't wish to do this, simply leave the bin as is for about a year and it'll do the job itself. Meanwhile, build one that's accessible and add fresh stuff to that.

mrsdirtyboots

• aselfsufficientlife
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:16 »
We're lazy, never turning the compost.  It's fine though - means you might wait longer for your first batch of rotted down goodness.  But so long as you have enough bins on the go you'll end up with a regular supply in the future.  Haven't used plastic bins for years but we always found them quite fast - maybe as they stay pretty damp?

Mrs Dirty Boots

Towards a more Self Sufficient Life
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 19:52 by john »
Mrs Dirty Boots

towards a more sustainable future

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 19:58 »
Poke your fork through the top and mix it around that way
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 18:32 »
We have 2 dalecs and had great compost from them.We have a stick with a metal thingy on the end.you push the stick in and the metal thing fans out when you pull up then closes when you push down.It mixes well.Blimey i hope that made some sense. ::)

DIGGER

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 18:58 »
We have 2 dalecs and had great compost from them.We have a stick with a metal thingy on the end.you push the stick in and the metal thing fans out when you pull up then closes when you push down.It mixes well.Blimey i hope that made some sense. ::)

Could you elaborate somewhat on the stick with a thingy. I spend most of my emptying of daleks on my back with my arm up it

penance

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 19:17 »
I'm guessing it's one of these compost aerators:

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/GCO-558.htm

Thought about it in the past, but have fork and that does well in the one dalec i have.
Other bins open all down one side so nice and easy.

FRUITFULL

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:11 »
Thats it penance,it came with the bin,i actually have 2! i love stirring but OH says coz i havent chopped up some stuff small enough,i will be emptying the bins this year! ::)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 09:47 »
I was gonna try and run 2 bins along side each other swapping from one to the next as time goes on howoften should i do this any idea
Thanks
Kris

mor

• gardening tips and idea
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 21:00 »

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 16:19 »
I have a dalek type bin and a tumbler type one, both of which I acquired for free. I tumble the stuff for a month or so and then it gets dumped in the dalek for several months/seasons until it is ready to be used.

Diy-king

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 08:32 »
Hi La Jardinère

That thing Fruitfull talked about is called a COMPOST AERATOR you can get it from lots garden centres. Here is a link so you can either buy or at least see what it is like.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Gardening+Equipment/Compost+Bins+and+Composters/Compost+Aerator+559155.htm

Hope this helps

Happy composting
If it brakes get out the hammer
if that does'nt work get a bigger hammer

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:20 »
Before getting the allotment, I had three plastic bins (just your normal household dustbins, but with holes drilled in the bottom and sides) and gradually filled them, one after the other, with kitchen waste, paper and 'lighter' twiggy stuff. The bins have now been left alone, untouched for over 18 months (  :blush: ).

I bought a bunch of those tiger worms (I think they're called) and used them in one of the bins... it did seem to break down a lot quicker than the other two.

At the weekend, I stuck my arms in each one and the result is a wonderfully rich compost.  :D

The only trouble is, it is surprising how little coverage you actually get from one bin - especially when you have moved from a garden to an allotment!  ::)

GreenOwl

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 15:37 »
I was gonna try and run 2 bins along side each other swapping from one to the next as time goes on howoften should i do this any idea

Started to write what I do but it became a bit complicated.  OK, lets call 'em bin1 and bin2.  Bin1 is the "active one" that gets fresh stuff added to it.  Bin2 is generally left alone to rot down.

When bin1 is full, I empty bin2 and use any fully composted stuff.  Any uncomposted stuff goes back in.  I then empty bin1 into bin2, turning and mixing as I go.  Usually get most of bin1's contents in.  Bin2 is then left to rot down and I start again refilling bin1.

Hope that makes sense. 

Always wanted one of them compost aerators but no OH insists on giving me underwear or perfume.   :blink:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 15:39 by GreenOwl »

xx
Dog poo compost

Started by jimroden on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 11:10
by weeeed
xx
B+Q compost

Started by steven c on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2022, 12:36
by Growster...
xx
can i put these in compost bin ?

Started by kiowa on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 19:29
by mkhenry
question
Ivy in compost

Started by kennystevens on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 05:44
by oldbean

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 38 queries.