new polytunnel planting advice

• 8 Replies

m1ckz

new polytunnel planting advice
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:51 »
hoping to get a good start next spring growing veg...just got a 4m x2m poly tunnel..hope to get it up this weekend..anyone got any tips on what an wen to sow..or putting it up   ty

edit to title for search purposes
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 16:11 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: poly
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:19 »
RealSeeds has a monthly sowing guide, with polytunnel sowings mentioned  ;)
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/Monthlysowing.html

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:20 »
Wait until there is no wind before you try to put the poly in place.
Catherine

snow white

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 15:31 »
And anchor it down well.

engineer

• Experienced Member
Re: new polytunnel planting advice
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 17:40 »
I have had my tunnel for 2yrs now 6mx4m, when erecting ensure that the frame is square by measuring corner to corner, must be equal. When you put the cover on any left over material is buried a spade depth all around the perimeter, on each corner i have put a half tanalised field  post ( the type farmers use for field bounderies) buried 2ft deep with one bag of post crete round each post, then screw from the inside through the corner frame into the post. I have had some gale force winds in the past and nothing has bothered it.

Good luck with it.
PS I grew sweet corn, chillies, red peppers and cucumbers in mine this year!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 22:17 »
This is an interesting Topic and also quite argumentative although I have no views either way ! I do have PT which is down to the ground and has done me well . However the current advice I am getting from the pro's is to leave a 200mm air gap around the base ! I have not tried this or tested it  :)
I cook therefore I grow

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:27 »
This is an interesting Topic and also quite argumentative although I have no views either way ! I do have PT which is down to the ground and has done me well . However the current advice I am getting from the pro's is to leave a 200mm air gap around the base ! I have not tried this or tested it  :)

I wonder where the Pro's are getting advice from? ref. airgap, mine has built in ventilation panels along each side, if i raised it 200mm all around the wind would get inside and destroy it, i have an exposed site.

I have seen the sides raised by about 1m, this would allow the wind to blow through and not try to lift it like a ballon, but using them for a living i suppose the Pro's have got to get it right.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 12:45 »
However the current advice I am getting from the pro's is to leave a 200mm air gap around the base !

Horses for courses -  I think it would depend on what you are going to grow in it.
For example, the ones they were using to cover fruit trees, in the harvest programme last week, had completely open sides  ;)
I wouldn't want to let that many cold draughts  into one I was using to grow seeds, or for early plantings, in the Spring. Just need to make sure there is enough ventilation to stop things going mouldy,

Sparkyrog

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 16:46 »
However the current advice I am getting from the pro's is to leave a 200mm air gap around the base !

Horses for courses -  I think it would depend on what you are going to grow in it.
For example, the ones they were using to cover fruit trees, in the harvest programme last week, had completely open sides  ;)
I wouldn't want to let that many cold draughts  into one I was using to grow seeds, or for early plantings, in the Spring. Just need to make sure there is enough ventilation to stop things going mouldy,
I tend to agree mum but the idea is you have less wind damage and losse's

xx
polytunnel advice

Started by pvc on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 16:43
by pvc
xx
polytunnel advice please

Started by sunshineband on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 22:05
by snow white
xx
New gardener needs Polytunnel advice.

Started by Nails53 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 10:25
by Ranger1484
xx
3mx6m polytunnel layout advice needed please

Started by ceba on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post January 04, 2022, 17:17
by ceba

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 40 queries.