Best tools for someone with a bad back

• 23 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Best tools for someone with a bad back
« on: December 27, 2012, 20:58 »
Hello all

I was wondering if anyone knows of some good gardening tools that are made to protect you from hurting your back?  I think its known as ergonomic but I could be wrong. 

Its a bit late for me now because I've already hurt it  :ohmy:, but hoping once back on my feet that I can take better care of myself.

Any help, websites etc will be gratefully appreciated.

Merry Christmas
Teen

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Best tools for someone with a bad back
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 22:50 »
I find an azada, or backhoe, uses different muscles than a spade and seems easier on the back.

But it probably depends on which bit of your spine is hurt.

Also I find that forking is easier than digging and unless you are doing serious double digging seems to work almost as well.
Anne

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:59 »
Ergonomic tools usually have different handles on them so you apply pressure on the tool in a different way, usually easier on arms and such. Not sure it would help a lot with a bad back because digging is digging. Perhaps in this matter you could switch to no-dig gardening like the Eden style or raised beds that don't require digging and/or turning over.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 05:33 »
Try this link, Teen!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=91343.0

The spade and fork attachment are a godsend for your someone with your condition!

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06 »
It might also be worth trying an Irish spade if you know anyone who has one. Some people swear by them. The handles are very long and they are shaped differently, which apparently gives them better leverage. I think you need to try a few things out to see what works best for you as it is expensive to buy the wrong tool.
Hope the back gets better soon. :)

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 13:06 »
I use long handled tools to avoid any bending, but the best thing for a bad back and gardening is a change of attitude in the way you approach the work.
Does it all have to be done at once? I've yet to find an occasion when the answer is yes.
Do you need to turn a huge spadefull of soil in one go and hurt yourself/ snap the handle of the spade, when you could do it in two, or better still, three lightweight turns instead?
Are you working out there with you back bent for hours to prove something? or are you actually supposed to be enjoying yourself at the same time? ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 13:27 »
I hurt my back at the time I got my plot which was not very helpful so I set about finding ways of doing things

I don't dig!  The rotation involved in turning over the spadeful of soil is just too painful and will make matters worse.

I change jobs every 10 minutes, get up and walk about, stretch etc.  Kneeling for long periods is a no-no.

When my poo pile was delivered I couldn't fork it so I just picked up lumps of it and threw it roughly where it was needed.  Great fun   :D

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 15:11 »
Wow thank you all very much for replying.  I didn't expect to get any let alone all of these.

I am usually careful, but back in July I was shovelling soil into a wheelbarrow.  It was hurting my back but because I'm a stubborn old goat I ignored it and kept going.  I don't have the best back to start with and I usually stop through experience when it starts to hurt.

Been paying for it ever since, which sucks as I do gardening for a living and just last month started out on my own as a self-employed gardener.  Now I can't do anything :(  MRI scan in January.  I already can guess what it is, a herniated disc as I've got sciatica.

I'm justing thinking about the future now and getting better and then not being an idiot again by getting better exercise and doing things the right way.

I mainly have trouble with digging and shovelling.  I do tend to use a fork more these days rather than a spade as it breaks up the soil without me needing to lift it.  And I do also use an azada when it comes to planting spuds especially. 

I guess its mainly shovelling I will have difficulty with now.  And of course listening to what my back is saying.

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 18:10 »
Actually, Compostqueen is right, I don't shovel either. I moved barrow loads of woodchips to my plot, simply by scooping them up in my hands into the barrow, I moved barrow loads of leaves the same way and emptied the compost bins by standing inside them and removing the contents by hand.
Gardening does not have to include much digging anyway. Clearing a bed for the first time certainly needs to include 'digging' for weed removal (although I use a fork), but after that there is no need to dig at all unless you really want to.
Also, if you can do some yoga/pilates type exercise it can really help. If you are under the care of your hospital and have not seen a physiotherapist, try and get an appointment with one, as they may be able to recommend suitable exercises. :)

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 18:21 »
A physiotherapist is in the pipeline.  Been told I'm on the waiting list.  I would guess they would need to see the results of the MRI first though to know exactly how to treat it.

Getting a tad frustrated with it.  Want to be doing things but can't.  Getting a bit of cabin fever I think

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 07:16 »
Those pesky discs do cause a lot of pain if they're re-arranged Teen - been there, had them chopped out 25 years ago (perfick result) and know exactly what you've got!

You may also find that you'll do much more gardening either kneeling with one knee, or two, (NOT hunkered down on haunches) or even lying down, as the pressure is never enough to hurt any more!

Agree that shovelling will not be easy from now on, but using a spare knee to help push the spade/shovel forward is a good technique to master.

And as mentioned once here, I often sit down on an old box and use a short-handled hoe which is very easy to deploy, and even preferable to standing up, bending, and hoeing!

And use a small border fork for digging - they have less resistance!

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 14:45 »
I agree on the border fork, Growster - it's way easier than spades or shovels. I even have a broad fork.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 17:22 »
I tend to sit on my behind on the ground rather than kneeling, much more comfortable.  If the ground is compacted I losen it with a border fork first before sitting down. 

I get around a lot of stuff usually.  Its the shovelling technique that now holds me back, well when I'm back to normal anyway lol  Can't come quick enough its very frustrating especially when you know you have lots of ladies waiting for you to do their garden.

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 18:47 »
Why don't you try growing in containers or raised beds then there shouldn't be any digging?

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 18:49 »
Because I garden for a living.

xx
what tools do I need?

Started by subeyman on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 19:11
by Eatyourgreens
xx
old tools

Started by griff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 19:47
by Trillium
xx
what tools do you have and what's the most useful to you?

Started by MJS on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 07:52
by Swing Swang
xx
Tools

Started by Sparkyrog on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 12:43
by grendel

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 40 queries.