Poorly old cat

• 43 Replies

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
Re: Poorly old cat
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2011, 11:37 »
I was wondering too!

My Molly kept doing the deep sleeping thing too but by the time I started to panic a little she would open one eye and have a huuuuge stretch and yawn and I'd feel guilty for waking her up and tell her to go back to sleep ::)

Our vet said it was a good sign that she was comfortable that she was sleeping so soundly and that her meds were working well, she only settled like that at night and would just sleep in short bursts and potter about in a wonky way during the day time and recharge at night.

Your little lion is a right fighter by the sound of it  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 11:48 »
sounds like you have a fantastic vet and Bagpuss is in very good hands  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 16:50 »
Thanks argyllie.

Yes he is good Joy but he is getting old himself so I don't know if he will be retiring soon, I hope not.

She does sound like your Molly PurplePixie, we are just enjoying whatever time we have left with her.

:)

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

maxyboo

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 19:01 »
So glad to hear she is doing ok. I've been checking regularly for updates. I hope she continues to enjoy life for a long time yet.

ANHBUC

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 20:39 »
So glad to hear she is doing ok. I've been checking regularly for updates. I hope she continues to enjoy life for a long time yet.

Thanks, as long as she is in no pain we will keep giving her the medication to keep her comfortable enough to still enjoy her life.  That is all we can ask for.

Oliveview

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 21:35 »
Any update on your cat ANHBUC?

Pamela

ANHBUC

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 21:45 »
She is still plodding along.  I am trying to ween her off the medication a bit at a time.  Don't want her relying on it if she is fine without.  Have halved her dose and she is no worse which gives me something to increase to if she is unwell again.

Sorry to hear you lost one of your kittens, really sad.  Hope that things go well with your remaining little fighter.   :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 15:51 »
 :)  Have managed to ween her completely off her medication and she is doing really well for an elderly cat.  Still manages the cat flap, still using an outdoor litter tray and still drinking from her watering can.  She is constantly under my feet when I am in the kitchen so I have to be very careful not to step on her.   ::)  She loves her daily sachet of food as well as her dried food and has a good appetite.  We tried her on all brands of Mature sachet foods and by accident found that the only one she will eat every last morsel of in all of the varieties is Morrisons Senior meat and fish selection. 

She has chosen a spot by the radiator in the dining room to sleep as she no longer likes her cat basket.  I think this is because her back legs are a bit wobbly and the basket is really padded she might find it difficult to get in and out of.  She will never run up and down the stairs again or jump up on the garden wall but her quallity of life is still good.  It is really nice when she occasionally wanders into the living room on a night to have a rub on my hubbies feet.  Think that having this extra time with our poorly old cat has prepared us for what will come in the future and we will know when it is her time.  For now we will enjoy her company as much as we can.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 18:34 »
That's good to hear. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2011, 19:16 »
Glad she's going well and enjoying life.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

ANHBUC

Re: Poorly old cat (UPDATE)
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 11:44 »
Well she has been bumbling along since last August and has more good than bad days.  Things changed yesterday afternoon when we noticed that she could not see.  She has cataracts but has still managed but she lost her sight completely very quickly.

Straight to the vets this morning and it could be several things that have caused this.  Unfortunately they were unable to take a blood sample as she was getting too distressed.  They can't see the retinas because of the cataracts.  She has had an anti inflamatory injection incase it has been caused by swelling on the brain. 

Just have to hope that she will adjust to loosing her sight and will ring the vet on Wednesday to update her on her condition.  As she is deaf it is going to be a struggle for her.  We have blocked off the access from the patio to the garden and pond as she was wandering aimlessly this morning (under watchful eyes) and got too close to the edge.  She spent all night trying to get through the catflap which was locked for her own safety.   :( 

maxyboo

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 16:08 »
Sorry to hear your latest. I hope the injection helps. It's hard to know what to do for the best in these situations isn't it. Sending puss a big hug and a gentle belly rub!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 16:59 »
how is she today?

ANHBUC

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 17:23 »
Still bumbling along.  She is laid out on the patio at the moment trying to keep cool in this heat. 

No wet kitchen floor this morning which is a plus.  She is still peeing on the patio as she sometimes can't find her outdoor litter tray.  Just keep swilling it down so it is clean for her to walk on.  I gave her a sachet cat food at lunch time and timed her.  It took her 5 minutes for her nose to detect and her to successfully get to her feed bowl.  Not bad for a 90+ year old cat who is blind and deaf.

Spoke to the vet earlier and she can try for another blood sample but medication will not bring back her eyesight.  As she is not distressed at the moment we are going to see how she adapts.  Our daughter is home on the 17th July and she can see how she is then as she is her cat.  If she takes a turn for the worse she will come home asap.

xx
poorly cat

Started by titch on Pets without Feathers

36 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 18:41
by cissie
xx
poorly pup

Started by nicky d on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 20:41
by Spana
xx
Poorly gerbil

Started by Raven81 on Pets without Feathers

25 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 21:52
by Raven81
xx
Poorly Puss Tat

Started by Caralou on Pets without Feathers

34 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 14:47
by raeburg

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 38 queries.