help sleeping in nest boxes

• 25 Replies

cbv8

Re: help sleeping in nest boxes
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 08:31 »
I have three Lohmanns two sleep on the perches and one sleeps in one of the two nesting boxes the one that sleeps in the nesting box has a bit of a loner and is slightly smaller than the other two so keeps herself to herself when in the coop when outside in the run they all get on no probs wierd  :wacko: Here they are waiting for there prawn crackers they love them the one at the front is the loner NOT when its treat time though its one mad dash to the food  ::)
hens 001.jpg
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:44 by cbv8 »

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58 »
does it matter were they roost? as long as they happy healtyhy clean water and food surely that more important,im sure all mine(4) cuddle up in the nest box wich is 4ft long by 12 in wide and thick we straw,they ave a large fallen branch in the shed with them, but i not know if they use that (they probably do) as long as when i go up the lottie in morning they all out rooting in the run happy and lookin through the gate when they hear the bottom gate open then im happy :)

dan808

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 20:14 »
 Its just to make cleaning a little easier having a droppings board, all but 3 are happy on the roost now even a ex batt which I'm a little surprised about getting on so soon  :)
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  :-) :-)

bravemurphy

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 21:11 »
Two of ours were sleeping in the nest box until 2 weeks ago, went down the garden with the dog and had the shock of my life when i walked past the chicken run in the dark.

Shone the touch through the run and the two that were sleeping in the nest box were huddled up on the roof above the feed area ( must have been caught out by the automatic door, best thing we have ever bought.)

Went back in the house to get the wife ( the one chook has only been handled twice in 2 years she hates it) ( blackrock) to help me and we put them back in the chook house on the perches , they havent come off them since.

Lovely clean eegs now tho  :)

So maybe persistence putting them on the perches in the night  will work.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 12:20 »
I have 3 hens that always sleep in the nest boxes, it drives me up the wall. My efforts at blocking them off have been in vain as they always seem to get in there anyway. They reason it annoys me is that it makes the nest boxes mucky, their bottoms also end up mucky.  :mad:

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 21:16 »
I gave up trying to teach mine to perch at night a long time ago. They look like sardines all squashed in the nesting boxes at night but they're happy and healthy so I'm not bothered. I just poo pick in the morning when I let them out so the eggs don't get covered in it.

cbv8

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 21:24 »
I gave up trying to teach mine to perch at night a long time ago. They look like sardines all squashed in the nesting boxes at night but they're happy and healthy so I'm not bothered. I just poo pick in the morning when I let them out so the eggs don't get covered in it.
Like Sardines i like it  :D funny things these hens  :lol:

dan808

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42 »
Just an update all hens are now happy roosting  on there own now :) 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 14:51 »
Just an update all hens are now happy roosting  on there own now :)

Can you detail how you achieved it dan808 so other members will gain from your experience.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 10:49 »
like some of you I too thought "oh leave them they will be fine" however one of mine got an infection in her eye from her pooh because she used to sleep with her beak resting on the ground. So please try everything you can to stop them sleeping in their nest boxes and get them roosting.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dan808

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 11:48 »
Hi, so I have 9 hens and 12 nest boxes 'inherited coop' the hens were sleeping in the nest box next to the roost  every night I'd put the hens on to the perch  when they where settled 'half hour to a hour' after they went inside. This worked for most of the hens but still some still wanted to sleep in boxes.so I decided to block the ones they were nesting in and leave 3 furthest away from the perch, worked fine not a single dropping in, so nice clean eggs for me :)
A can easily open up the other nests if and when I get any more hens.

xx
Limping hen and sleeping in nest boxes.

Started by snowie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2013, 15:40
by ehs284
xx
How do i stop my new chickens sleeping in the nest boxes?

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 08:27
by Sassy
question
chooks sleeping in nesting boxes

Started by slop jockey on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 21:53
by slop jockey
xx
chickens sleeping in nesting boxes - advice needed

Started by brownp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 09:45
by Henlady

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 39 queries.