Slow-cooker

• 11 Replies

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
Slow-cooker
« on: January 17, 2008, 17:15 »
Never made a suet pudding in the slow cooker before.  Prepared one today, put it on, and then this afternoon I re-read the recipe, and it said to have the slow-cooker set to High, but mine only has one setting.  Does anyone know if this is something inbetween High and Low, and will the food be ok?
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

Sally A

Slow-cooker
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 20:22 »
Yours will probably be a High setting.  Is it top hat sized? or called a Tower Compact?

the larger ones have low, ie allow to cook for longer.  High, cook a s a p.  Auto - starts it off on high, and then goes to low automatically.

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
Slow-cooker
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:00 »
I took my chances and we ate it!  Was alright, but not one of best creations!  

My slow cooker is an enormous one, so it might be on low, by what you've told me.  I'll just have to read the recipes a bit more thoroughly next time!

Sally A

Slow-cooker
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 16:36 »
I only use mine for stews/casseroles, so have no experience of puds -sorry.

I have popped dumplings in an hour before the stew was being served, and they came up a treat.

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
Slow-cooker
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 15:51 »
We've had two slow cookers for years and we use them quite often. If you've never had roast chicken cooked in a slow cooker you don't know what you're missing (or beef brisket). In fact most of our Sunday joints are done in it. The 'classic' good old stew is brill too. As you can tell I'm a great lover of the much maligned slow cooker. After a cold, hard day down at the allotment there is nothing nicer than to arrive home to a scrumtious, hot meal.  They are an absolute boon, especially to a greedy devil like me :twisted: .
He's my best buddy, my dog called Woody.
If it works, organic. If it don't, well.........??

mushroom

Slow-cooker
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 17:32 »
Slow cooking - the best way to make the tougher cuts of meat better. Especially if it's done with a little vinegar. It's lazy. I like lazy ;)

sweet nasturtium

Slow-cooker
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 14:42 »
I'm thinking of getting one - what size would be good for a family of four?  There's a fancy one by Cuisinart and one by Rosemary Conley that I'm tempted by.

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Slow-cooker
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 19:14 »
So how do you go about roasting a chicken in the slow cooker? Do I chuck in veg etc too? We're new to slow cooking - I like the idea of setting it off in the morning and being ready when we get in, in the evening. Need to get the hang of it - intend to take it camping with us in the summer!!

Sally A

Slow-cooker
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 19:27 »
SN - get as big a cooker as you can, we have the Russell Hobbs Family Auto suposed to feed 4-6, but there's only 3 of us, and we can demolish a pot of stew betwen us.

Angelah - if you roast a chicken it will not be crispy, as cooking is done through heat and moisture, but more tasty than a steamer.

Best to use chicken portions, ideally browned before you put them in, but not necessary.

Normally I'd do chicken fillets, bung them in with a knob of butter and various herbs and set it off for about 4 hours plus.  

If you use drumsticks, the flesh will fall off the bones, but you will need to ensure you pick out all the bones.

Angelah

• Experienced Member
Slow-cooker
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 19:37 »
Thanks for that. Think I'm just going to have to experiment! New years resolution is to cook more from scratch, using local farm shops/farmers markets etc where pos! So far, so good!! I'm not into cooking, but am slowly getting there!

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
Slow-cooker
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 21:34 »
Grease the pot, including lid with butter, bung in chicken. Switch onto high and leave for six hours. Result.............Absolutely beautiful, moist, falling off the bone chicken!!! :D

Sally A

Slow-cooker
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 21:48 »
I'll give that a whirl Grasshopper, thanks.

xx
Slow cooker - which one

Started by BigPaddy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 17:55
by Yorkie
xx
slow cooker

Started by greenjay on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2021, 10:05
by Aled
xx
Slow cooker

Started by Springlands on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

44 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 16:40
by madcat
xx
Ham in slow cooker

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 17:43
by Aidy

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.