Spent Mushroom Compost

• 4 Replies

Eblana

Spent Mushroom Compost
« on: February 07, 2013, 16:40 »
Hi all,

I am currently trying to fill eight new raised beds (4'x12').  I was hoping to use manure but the stuff delivered to the plots this year is useless (all straw and no manure and the smell off it makes me think that they were possibly waiting at the back end of the horse to collect the bit of manure that is in it!!!!!).

I have been offered 5 builders sacks (1 m3 each) full of spent mushroom compost more or less for the cost of delivery and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of using this.  I was hoping to add it to the beds and leave it for a month or two and then rotavate it into the soil as I need the beds but not sure if it is any good or not.

E

RichardA

Re: Spent Mushroom Compost
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 17:07 »
it is a very good soil conditioner but rots down to very little in bulk. It has little nutriment left in it and can be very variable. It has usually had lime and or gypsum or chalk added so it will change the ph of the soil towards the alkaline if added in any quantity so whilst it can be loved by peas/beans etc and by brassicas it should never be used where potatoes are to be planted next. Some soft fruits will not like it either. I can get large quantities of it from time to time and my garden has benefited but just watch where you use it and don't expect to much of it. I get it free and delivered free so it is worth it for me.
R

ptarmigan

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 17:11 »
Hi

I used spent mushroom compost to start off my raised beds together with some not great topsoil, random compost (old grow bags, used compost from last year's pots etc while waiting for compost heap on plot to get going) and a bit of well rotted manure because there was a bit going spare. The spent mushroom compost worked for me - the worms love it.   There's some talk that it makes the soil alkaline - but there was an article in one of the weekend papers from a garden journalist saying that it doesn't and she uses it every year. Unfortunately can't find it to link to it.

I think you do have to mix it with something though - just manure or just SMC would probably be a bit of a shock to young plants - I stand to be corrected by anyone else coming along though.

I've used it two years on the trot and will be ordering more this spring. The other advantages are it's relatively lights to handle and move, not smelly and you get bonus mushrooms popping up!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 17:43 »
I've researched this topic of the pH of spent mushroom compost several times and I'm as unsure now as I ever was!   :unsure:

Even the bulk suppliers have different views about their respective products, but on balance I suspect that it is usually somewhat alkaline.

Doesn't mean it's not a useful soil conditioner with a useful range of minerals in it though, but it's probably not a good choice for chalky soils, and definitely not something to be growing your blueberries or other ericaceous plants in.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 21:15 »
We tend to avoid mushroom composts since they're fairly alkaline, so do know your soil pH before adding masses to it.

xx
Spent mushroom compost

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 06:07
by marion
xx
Spent Mushroom Compost

Started by Tristan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 09:23
by bazh
xx
Spent mushroom compost needed

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 17:03
by andy135
xx
Spent mushroom compost on my potato beds

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2022, 21:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 36 queries.