Problem with bullying

• 3 Replies

Nlbrum

Problem with bullying
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:07 »
I'm new at raising chickens.  I have 12 of various breeds,but I'm having a huge problem with 3.  At about 10-12 weeks old one of my chicks became the victim of severe bullying from the other 9 birds.  I believe this was a result of overcrowding.  I separated her, let her heal & have reintroduced her to the rest of flock in a new & improved coop & run.  It's been about 6 weeks or so & she still has not become part of the flock.  About 4 weeks ago, I acquired two younger Marans & added them to the flock.  These 3 birds are constantly bullied,  I understand there is a pecking order, but I'm concerned that these 3 aren't getting enough to eat.  I've placed additional waterers & feeders in the coop, but they get chased away from these as well.  I welcome any thoughts or advice!

snow white

Re: Problem with bullying
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 07:36 »
I'm having the same problems.  Wait with interest to see the answers.  At the moment I am seriously thinking of building a new coop and run.  I have all the materials.  I had hoped they would settle down but my original two don't want to know.  Had hoped a new enviroment would even thnigs out, but no.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:45 »
If you can identify a ring leader you should remove her for a couple of weeks before putting her back in - if you can house her within sight of the others that helps when you re introduce her. Otherwise you can give them more time and /or space or house the bullied ones separately. Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:42 »
Welcome to the site Nlbrum.   :D

If you post a photo of your setup or give us an idea of what it is like and how much area your hens have that would be great.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sad
bullying

Started by shez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2010, 12:34
by too many girls
xx
Bullying Hen

Started by Marligirl2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 08:09
by Sassy
sad
Bullying help!!

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 16:33
by redmolly
xx
bullying

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 15:50
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 36 queries.