Novice gardner needs advice on tools

• 19 Replies

Steerpike

« on: November 07, 2006, 12:21 »
Hi,

I am shortly to take on an Allotment and need to know what I will need to get started. My budget is quite tight so advice on buying decent quality stuff at an affordable price would be good.

I don't yet know what kind of condition the Allotment will be in but know that I need to prepare the ground now for spring sowing.

So far, I reckon I need:

A Spade
A Hoe
Gardening Gloves
Watering can
Water butt (no running water on site)
Shed! (to secure tools)
Fork

How much is this lot likely to set me back? Any tips on buying? Anything obvious I have missed (bear in mind I just want to be clearing the way for spring at the moment.

Thanks

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 12:39 »
wilkinsons . all metal spade about 7 pd .fork the same . hoe 6 pd
gloves 3.
water butt 10, shed 2/ 3 hundred but id take em home til you settle in and see what the security on the site s like ,.
water  can 2 pd you should get all ya need for 100 pd
my pomun sign dont werk on the right button cos my keyboards  gone wierd on me  :wink:
still alive /............

peterryall

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 22:02 »
steepike
you could always take a look on ebay its great fro this sort of stuff.i have had few bits from there.Its best though to wait to see what state the plots in as when i took mine it had 6 foot high grass and bramble which i had to cut down with a strimmer.But then i was lucky and got a nearby farmer to plough and rotavte mine for me so i could work it.it is by no means finished but good luck and enjoy it lots

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 08:57 »
Good spade / fork should last you - I mean for a lifetime so if you can buy quality it's well worth it. Check the weight (lighter is good as long as strong) and length of handle.  A handle too short will do your back in.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

tully

• Experienced Member
new gear
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 14:47 »
Try Freecycle web site.....a sort of free swap shop.

Otherwise you could go to the tip and ask the guys to save you tools.  Extras are always useful.
YOUR NEVER ALONE WITH A CABBAGE

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 18:07 »
I'm looking in the local papers for adds from people wanting to get rid of a shed.

I'd second John on good quality tools.  I've just got some stainless steel ones (getting cheaper all the time) they cut through the ground like butter.  I've still got some tool that used to be my dad's and must be 60 year old at least and they are as good today as ever.  Go for quality if you can  :!:

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 20:36 »
A good sized rotvator (honda if poss), big old petrol strimmer, banker attchment for rotovator, large sprayor, Wheeled flame gun, hoe attachment ect, ect.

Well you might as well start in a way that gives you a chance against the weeds and bugs. And who wants to spend valuble drinking hours digging the allotment when the machines will do it in minuites!!!!!! :twisted:
always have a target
and an objective.

silver8

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 22:15 »
Have to agree-there are plenty of cheap tools out there but a false economy because they wont last five minutes.Especially those heavy duty tools like spades and forks.You need to be patient and build up your stock but buying quality that will last.
Joining freecycle is also another must but again you will need to be patient.I also think that the lottie movement has got a real community feel about it and im sure that other plotholders will be willing to lend you some tools.

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 22:24 »
go to carboot sales and buy from disallusionjed lotties , or those who found it had to mean sore backs to grow a free range cabbage :wink:

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 10:12 »
Sad to admit but we have a tesco finest (or some such nonsense) SS digging spade(if i recall correctly, was £7.99) and it's lovely. The clay soil doesn't stick all over it like it does our cheap border spade. I also disagree a bit with having a lighterweight spade; I like having the spade weight help with the digging, especially when I'm trying to break up clods of soil. I'd probably like it less if I had to carry it home every day, though. We keep it locked up in the shed with a bike lock. Only problem is having to wait until Tesco stocks up with the gardening stuff again. Will probably get a new fork from them as we only have a handmedown from another person on the site and we've broken a bit of the handle off  :shock:

Check with your local council or water company to see if they're doing any special deals on waterbutts and make sure they are actually deals as there are cheaper places out there usually.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 12:51 »
The wonders of modern slave labour in China etc mean we can get some good quality tools and goods for next to nothing.

I watched something on building skyscapers in Saudi the other day. Richest country in the world imports labour from the poorest and pays them £25 a week.  

Oops - political diatribe - bit off topic :)

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 11:00 »
how can you buy chinese tools which are poluting the planet. And then be all green with your grow your own policy :?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 12:03 »
Because you don't really have a choice.  You just do the best you can under the circumstances.

Besides, would the carbon burden of spades made in Brum be any lower than those made in China? Now when you talk about eating home grown strawberries against those flown in from abroad you are being green, saving a packet in fuel miles.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 14:36 »
I have to concede that makking a shovel is makeing a shovel in terms of the greenhouse gas. Except manufactures in the EU are much more monitored on thier polution levels. But the shovels still have to shipped the same as your strawberrys.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 14:42 »
poor old steerpike just wanted some cheap tools and here we are sorting out the global economy. or at least trying to slow up china

xx
Tools

Started by Plot74 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 23:06
by Plot74
xx
what tools do you have and what's the most useful to you?

Started by MJS on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 07:52
by Swing Swang
xx
Tools

Started by Sparkyrog on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 12:43
by grendel
xx
what tools do I need?

Started by subeyman on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 19:11
by Eatyourgreens

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 38 queries.