Storing onions

• 11 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Storing onions
« on: September 29, 2013, 13:16 »
I've had my onions stored in net bags in the garage for a while now. I checked them this morning and a few have developed some grey mold. They were nice and dry when I bagged them up. They have been stored on a shelf in the garage. I wonder if it's been too damp for them, or too dark. I have a couple of strings in the garage too and they are fine. Could it be a ventillation thing? I've taken them all out and put them back on a rack in the greenhouse. I may salvage some of the worst ones if I use them first.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Storing onions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 17:29 »
Yes, it's probably a ventilation issue, together with the fact that they probably weren't as dry as you thought when you put them away (they are always deceptive on this front ... )  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 19:21 »
I gave up storing mine in net bags for that very reason as somehow there always seemed to be at least one that was still 'moist', and the strings on the ones I strung always snapped eventually too.

So now I store mine in a single layer those flattish cardboard boxes that fruit comes in to supermarkets, and then I can easily see if any are mildew or anything and use them next.

They stack well too, with plenty of air flow.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

barley

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 16:44 »
I did post this on here somewhere else ? can't remember where  :mellow:

I've tried my onions like this for the first time -they are just tied onto a wire hanging basket - I got about 60 or so on each basket and plenty of air can circulate so hopefully they won't get mould on this year  ;)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 16:46 »
mushroom box's are good too and they stack  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Yana

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 17:42 »
I store onions by using up old tights and dropping an onion down the leg, tie a knot and then drop the next one and keep going until I get to the gusset, then start on the other leg. That way you can squeeze / inspect each onion individually and simply cut the tight leg to remove any rotten ones and still have the leg hanging. Also means that you can take an onion by snipping below the knot leaving the rest of the onions hanging up.
 8)  :lol:  :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 11:42 »
I put mine back out on a rack in the greenhouse but it looks like I've lost the lot. I think my main problem is that I've nowhere both dry and well ventillated to put them. One thing is for certain, if I do them again next year, I shall be hanging them in strings of one form or another.

Do chopped up onions freeze well.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 15:35 »
Yes, chopped onions will freeze nicely but double bag them so the smell doesn't permeate the freezer.

If you can dehydrate them, that works very well too. They work well in soups and stews.

Aled

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 12:57 »
Didnt know about freezing onions! Thats worth knowing. This is the first year i've grown any and they are strung up nicely in the garage.
Cheers
Aled

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 13:14 »
I had a lot of onions with white rot on the bottoms, so I had to cut the bases off, then chop and freeze all of those!
I deffo agree with the need for double bagging, or putting in a Tupperware-style container  ;)

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 13:02 »
Since I took the affected onions out of the garage and laid them on a rack in the greenhouse, they haven't got any worse. They are still soft and manky in the neck end and only the bottom half is useable. If it's some form of rot/fungus/mould, why hasn't it spread to the whole onion?

RichardA

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 14:16 »
I use flat cardboard boxes as many have suggested. I have a trailer in the garage with high sides so I put a few boards across it and put boxes on the boards so good ventilation under , over and all round. Touch woood but over last few years I have kept onions through to mid summer the next year with hardly ever a loss.
Personal opinion - if you feed and water onions too much they get a bit lush and that leads to early rotting.
R

xx
Storing onions

Started by zebraff on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 21:00
by zebraff
xx
Storing Onions......... again!

Started by Steve.B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 01:33
by Trillium
xx
Storing onions.

Started by Welsh Merf on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post March 16, 2013, 20:17
by superpete
xx
storing onions in a net??

Started by mickeyboy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 02:50
by Trillium

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.