Nuggets not herself

• 26 Replies

wadz81

• Experienced Member
Nuggets not herself
« on: May 09, 2010, 20:57 »
today when we got back from the allotment we let the girls out but Nugget wasn't her normal self she went out but then went back in the run and sat down. She looks all puffed up and seems pooped, we're not sure if she's broody or egg bound. We have given her a warm soapy bath  for 10 mins and dried her and put her back in the coop to rest. Have we done the right thing ?  :(

wadz81

• Experienced Member
we have put her to bed for the night
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 21:36 »
we have bought nugget in, blow dried, her and put her in a box with a hot water bottle and some straw, hope she's better in the morning  :(

Pretty Chick

Re: Nuggets not herself
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 21:39 »
Yes, it was probably a good idea to give her a wash for there is no harm in doing that.
Keep an eye on her and after a few days you should know for certain if she is broody or not and you can take it from there.
I'm sure someone else will be able to give you more advice.
Hope she's okay
All lives are precious.

alibean

• Experienced Member
Re: we have put her to bed for the night
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 21:54 »
I'm sure things will go one way or the other very quickly - you've done all you can so fingers crossed that little nugget either rallies or slips away peacefully. x

wadz81

• Experienced Member
nugget update
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 09:24 »
well she's been in for the night and we've let her out with the other girls this morning, she's wondering round the garden but a bit slower then normal, but better than yesterday. She's eaten some grapes and meal worms while I was watching don't know what else when I wasn't. Going to keep my eye on her and maybe give her another bath and dry her off again try to get a bit more cod liver oil down her ( or me  :blush: ) Fingers  crossed my little puppy pulls round !

Pretty Chick

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 09:38 »
I'm glad Nugget is looking a little better.
I often give my big hens a warm bath when they get a little dirty (because of the fluff around their bottom!) and they look much better for it.
You seem to really care about Nugget and she's a very lucky hen to have owners like you! :)

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 18:24 »
gave my little nugget another bath and another blow dry which she loved, when she was dry I put her back in the run and she went into the coop and stayed there most of the day. She came out for cat food and water, I think we've got our first broody it was red hot in the coop when I checked on her.  :D

Pretty Chick

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 18:32 »
How exciting  :)
Are you going to let her hatch some eggs?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 18:57 »
Hi, im sorry your hen isnt feeling well, and hope she is feeling better soon. Have you established if she is egg bound or broody?  You can loose an egg bound chuck so its not really advisable to wait and see so to speak if you really do suspect this .Ok...bathing an egg bound chuck has worked for me, but its not a beauty treatment, 10mins wont work, they need to have their vent submerged in the water for at least 40 mins to help relax muscles in the vent that will help pass an egg that is stuck.Some say bathing a hen can stress them out, mine however love a bath and blowdry, but they dont need and shouldnt have one very often, to give them daily and then put them back outside when you suspect they are not 100% isnt really a good idea :(. leave off the olive oil, it can be harmful to hens. If they have an inpacted (not sour) crop, then a small amount in the beak then gently but firmly massage the crop .....but you dont give it via the beak for egg bound chucks. Hopefully she isnt egg bound, and is going broody, it can be exciting, but think about what you would do with any cockerels, they are very hard to re-home, but you could have a few for the pot ;) good luck anyway :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 19:22 by dizzylizzie »

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 20:07 »
thank you for that, we have had a good feel and can't feel anything, she's eating and drinking fine, her feathers on her belly have gone and when I put her in the run she went into the coop and spent the rest of the day in there. When I popped my head in it was really warm in there and she kept coming out for some water is this good or bad ???? :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 20:15 »
you will know if she is broody as she will spread out and puff up her feathers when you go to lift her off any eggs. She may even go to peck you. When you lift her out and she does a pooh what does it look like? A broodies pooh is very large (smallish dog size) and very very smelly  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 20:23 »
Also, does she make a sort of screeching sound when you or another chicken goes near her? If she does, this is a sign of broodiness.

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 20:45 »
she does look very puffed out, her wings aren't drooping and she did make a funny noise when I put my head in to check on her, just checked them and another girls in the nest box with her, they usually perch. :wacko:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 20:48 »
well my girl olive was the most fantastic broody hen and a lovely mum, but she didnt ever growl at me. I used to lift her out for a poop. drink and food and she would take a min to realise she wasnt sitting on eggs, off she would trot have a quick drink and bite to eat then straight back to her eggs. Think carefully about hatching though, you will more than likely have at least half boys :(

Pretty Chick

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 20:53 »
It sounds like you've got yourself a nice broody hen  :D

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 32 queries.