noisey cockerel

• 11 Replies

bluecharlie

noisey cockerel
« on: April 27, 2010, 21:15 »
Hi everyone! i need some advise please,my beautiful, friendly silkie boy is driving us (and the neighbours.only a matter of time before they complain ) mad with his CONSTANT crowing! he has 3 girls to keep him entertained,has the run of our very large garden ,is fed well so why does he do it so much?and what can i do about it,any suggestions appreciated,

Kate and her Ducks

Re: noisey cockerel
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 21:38 »
Why does he do it? Well he's a cockerel. I'm afraid it's what they do. Here are a number of things you can try to minimise he crowing such as keeping him in the dark till a decent hour and limiting his head space to reach up and crow in but ultimately this is what cockerels do.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 21:54 »
Mine will crow from about 5 am through to about 8 pm at the moment for no reason whatsoever, it's what they do and they do it very well  :lol:. They have half an acre plus the farmers field and a bridleway, food available all day and between the 3 boys they have 20 girls (plus a load of young chicks).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Alec

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 22:34 »
Hello Bluecharlie,I've every sympathy with you regards to your cockerel.Up to a couple of weeks ago we had a lovely black pekin"Percy"He was a beautiful bird,which we had hatched ourselves.We tried just about everything(Even a sound proof box for night time!)But as the better weather came he just got more noisy.
Then i'm afraid he started to attack the grandchildren!Who like to go and feed the bantams etc.Luckily we managed to find a really suitable home for him.(a local chicken breeder with a farm).We even go and watch him roaming with his new ladies,so we are all happier now.Best wishes Alec

bluecharlie

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 18:43 »
thank you all for your advise,is as expected.
like you  found Alec,my cockerel has started to attack for no apparent reason, My Husband !and its him who feeds him and lets him out each day!! so i will have to think about a suitable new home for him,thanks again,   

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 21:15 »
I've got 11 cockerels, not mentioning the meat chickens, and they vie with each other all day to see who has the loudest crow!!!  Luckily we don't have many neighbours and the ones we do have like the sound of the 'country'!!

bacchus51

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:45 »
Thats what cockerels do. My friend shut his in a cupboard over night to appease his neighbours.

bluecharlie

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 18:51 »
Thanks for the advise,il buy a cupboard,lol,
why will vets no longer remove the vocal cords of noisel cockerels? is it considered cruel?
i realy dont want to rehome him,he is such fun,

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 19:03 »
Every sympathy! I gave up and rehomed my cock in the end. He's very happy on an allotment - breeding!!! Not too far from here and I swear I can still hear him!! I tried everything - but to no avail!! Good luck!! He was even sat in the living room watching tv and a laptop to entertain him at 5 am so that all the neighbours could sleep!!! However the one neighbour I was worried about (who works nights) didn't even flipping hear him!!!!  :)

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 18:28 »
Hi everyone! i need some advise please,my beautiful, friendly silkie boy is driving us (and the neighbours.only a matter of time before they complain ) mad with his CONSTANT crowing! he has 3 girls to keep him entertained,has the run of our very large garden ,is fed well so why does he do it so much?and what can i do about it,any suggestions appreciated,
Does anyone else in your area have a cockerel? The ony times I have had problems with persistant crowing, there was always another cockerel involved. I currently have four adult cokckerels, and they don't crow persistantly, even in the morning, which is when they crow the most. When I had just one, he crowed for nearly an hour every morning, sometimes, I could actually hear the one he was crowing to, but not often. The other time was in the daytime, when I tried seperating him from his sons, they were out of sight of him, and that seemed to bother the heck out of them, I brought them back into sight of him, and peace was restored.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

dizzylizzie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 18:43 »
Thanks for the advise,il buy a cupboard,lol,
why will vets no longer remove the vocal cords of noisel cockerels? is it considered cruel?
i realy dont want to rehome him,he is such fun,

Hi, i have an accidental cockerel....i bought him as a hen :mad: Anyway, it hasnt been an easy ride with him, i live in the middle of a housing estate  cockerels crow...its what they do. mine started running at me also- again, its what they do! He is trying to protect his ladies thats his job .My boy is  really noisy in the day, but ive spoken to the enviromental health about him, and as long as its between 7am-10pm, we dont seem to be breaking any more laws than the neighbours who play loud music, rev engins have parties and fight. Lots of people get rid of cockerels cos they think their neighbours will complain, that always confuses me cos surely you should wait and see if they complain? one of my problems i have with him is that he's erm, well...very 'active' so now most of my girls wear saddles. He sleeps in a cat basket inside the coop at night, it dosent stop him crowing but it muffles it :D, and i threaten to put him in te pot all the time but anyone who knows me knows i wouldnt cos i love him so much. It does baffle me a bit that people get cockerels have issues with the things tey do that make them cockerels....hope you find a soloution and its a happy ending ;)

woodburner

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 20:42 »
When I got my first cockerel, I didn't know how high they could jump, and the next morning, he was off over the fence apparently to some adult hens near the top of the road. Luckily I noticed his absence within minutes, and eventually found him in a friends garden on the main road! Carrying him back, I saw a lady I didn't know talking to a close neighbour, she called out "Is that your cockerel?" And the ensuing conversation ended with her admonition to "Just keep him away from my hens!"  :blink: It's not like she was breeding them either.  ???

xx
why are my chickens so noisey

Started by Ginarina on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 08:31
by Sassy
xx
noisey kockerel

Started by clucking mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 10:03
by joyfull
xx
Really noisey hens

Started by symonep on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 15:12
by sneezer
xx
Are quails noisey to keep? Also can you put them in the same run as chickens?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 08:58
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 33 queries.