Few questions on my border veg.

• 3 Replies

ldavison10

« on: June 02, 2008, 12:23 »
Hi,
Im pretty new to this and ive got a heap of plants at home that im bringing up, some from seed, some shop bought.

I have a courgette that has turned nearly albino like green, stands out a mile surrounded by the other darker plants. Seems to be growing but i really dont think its going as it should. I have other courgettes that are normal.

Also i planted (probably foolishly) many seeds into the ground between and around my main plants. Now im a bit stuck, i have lots of little green leaves popping up, 90% of which i suspect are weeds. How the heck do i figure which are my veggie younglings?!

I have a small grape bush that ive put in the greenhouse, will it be a bit stuffy in here for it? My Greenhouse is one of those half size plastic covered type from Woolies and is already upto the eyeballs with peppers, cucumbers and courgettes and it gets quite humid in there. I dont really know how to look after grapes but i suspect mild watering and plenty of sun is the way. Would it even survive outside?

Sorry for the questions, no one i know bothers with veggie gardening so this forum is my only advice and talking point. I have plenty more questions bubbling but ill not bore you with them....

Thanks
Lee

noshed

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:38 »
Identifying seedlings - I know the problem. That's why people plant in rows, you can usually work out which is which. Just pull out anything you know is a weed - dandelions etc and just guess the rest.
The vine will probably be OK outside for the summer. They can get fungus infections in a very humid atmousphere. Mine is in the ground and grows like a triffid but I am down south. If it's in a pot you could always shelter it in the winter.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:47 »
Ditch the duff courgette. It's not making enough chlorophyll so won't come to much if anything.

Piccies would help ;)

As per Bob Flowerdew's advice I am growing two vines in big pots in my conservatory. Not sure how the high humidity will affct them in your mni green house, though. They do like the warmth and shelter though.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:52 »
Quote from: "noshed"
If it's in a pot you could always shelter it in the winter.

Actually, they don't need protection from frost when dormant, (not 100% sure they ever need it), so they can go out in the winter.  :!:

When I lived in the middle east, we had a vinyard at the back of the house and we regularly had temps below -30C in winter.  :shock:

xx
Border edging

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 11:59
by brokenglass
xx
Looking for your opinions on my border veg

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 10:19
by compostqueen
xx
Potato patch border

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 13:44
by shokkyy
xx
Soft fruit border advice please.

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 21:43
by Totty

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 34 queries.