Solar panels please help!

• 12 Replies

bekboo

« on: March 11, 2008, 12:03 »
I have an allotment and would love to set up a solar power system but on a very tight budget! Anyone know of a reclaimed solar panel supplier in the Midlands? I can't afford new  :cry:
Free range is fairer and much tastier!! Support Chickenout.tv!! And if you would like to support my attempt at the Sport Relief Mile it would be most appreciated!! To sponsor follow the link http://www.mysportrelief.com/bekboo?SID=21683

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 13:46 »
I dont think you will be lucky enough to find any second hand ones to be honest. Unfortunatly you will be better off using a petrol or deisel generator down there. To get solar pannels that will generate enough power to run power tools your looking at 2.000+then you need a converter and a storage capacitor thats another 1,000+. Unfortunatly it is not cost effective enough yet to justyfy the money spent.

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 16:27 »
If you look on ebay, you can get a panel to run maybe a 10watt light bulb for about £20 but that's about as good as it gets.
You could try boat yards but I would imagine they hold their price if they're working ok.
What were you hoping to power ?

Rob

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 16:41 »
Aldi were doing a petrol generater for 50 quid, knocked out 700 watts as well, enough for most power tools.
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 16:46 »
Depends if your plot is near houses. They might not appreciate a gennie going for hours. Or are they a lot quieter than they used to be ?

Could maybe build an acoustic casing for it with just the exhaust poking out. Now there's a nice little project.

Rob

bekboo

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 19:07 »
Thought of a gennie but trying to be as green as possible and certainly don't want deisel fumes wafting over everything! :evil: I basically want a low wattage lamp in the chicken house and maybe low heating if we get deep snow (ha ha), and maybe a pump for irrigation? Can you get 12v pumps from anywhere?

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 19:20 »
In your part of the world I'd have thought a canal boat chandlers might be a good place to go.
They use a lot of 12v kit. We were thinking of doing the canalboat living thing a few years back and you can get just about everything, including a microwave which must need one hell of a think cable.
Ebay might have some 2nd hand gear. Your other option is a wind turbine but I don't know what output they give. Might trickle charge a car battery or 2.
Camping shop is the other obvious place. Lots of 2nd hand stuff available.

Rob

bekboo

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 19:44 »
Thanks Poultrygeist, I'll try the local camping place good idea :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

robbobnbill

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 21:56 »
I found this site its got loads of great articles on solar, wind turbines and renewable energy in general

http://www.reuk.co.uk
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice"  - Bill Cosby

bekboo

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 22:12 »
Quote from: "robbobnbill"
I found this site its got loads of great articles on solar, wind turbines and renewable energy in general

http://www.reuk.co.uk

Thanks robbobnbill info is great but I still can't afford the prices (£1000 for a lighting system?) looks like I might have to resort to charging car batteries up at home then using 'em on lotty :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 22:16 »
I wonder if you could adapt this on their website

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Powered-Poultry-Lighting.htm

They reckon £100

Could charge a battery or 2.

Rob

robbobnbill

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 22:29 »
i dont think it'll cost a great deal, there are kits on Ebay for £69.99 for the equivalent of a 40W bulb solar kit but if you managed to cobble something together from freebies i reckon you could do it for miles le$$, the most expensive part i guess would be the battery, there are even solar cells for less than a tenner, but its if there fit for purpose?

Theres also a 12V irrigation article on that site btw

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Powered-Irrigation.htm

bekboo

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 23:22 »
Quote from: "robbobnbill"
i dont think it'll cost a great deal, there are kits on Ebay for £69.99 for the equivalent of a 40W bulb solar kit but if you managed to cobble something together from freebies i reckon you could do it for miles le$$, the most expensive part i guess would be the battery, there are even solar cells for less than a tenner, but its if there fit for purpose?

Theres also a 12V irrigation article on that site btw

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Solar-Powered-Irrigation.htm

8)  8)  8) It is such a lot of info on the site but thanks!! I'll look into these ideas. I'm so motivated now.....all i have to do is find the £££££'s :cry:

question
Solar panels to trickle charge a car battery... what do I need?

Started by SnooziSuzi on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post October 13, 2022, 12:38
by SnooziSuzi
xx
fence panels

Started by sclarke624 on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2007, 11:30
by John
question
Anyone used B&Q's replacement panels?

Started by Goldfinger on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 15:16
by JayG
xx
Better way of securing polycarbonate panels?

Started by al78 on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 13:29
by grinling

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.