marmalade

• 27 Replies

viettaclark

marmalade
« on: January 20, 2012, 19:47 »
Did a blinding deal with the greengrocer for a case of Sevilles and I'm slowly working through them BUT removing the seeds gives me so much bother!
One suggestion was to squeeze the oranges which collects the seeds but I do the whole fruit recipe so can't cut and squeeze before using.
I suppose I could still do the whole fruit method but use half fruit as I use the water I simmer them in? Or maybe I could try squeezing (very gently because they're soft) after simmering?
I'd better experiment.
Any tips would be much appreciated.......

Spana

Re: marmalade
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 16:44 »
I've just finished mine this afternoon, and i must say i'm glad to see the back of it.  The first batch is sort of exciting but i've had enough of it by the last. But enough for a year is now in the jar and I feel free :lol:
Last year I bought enough oranges for the years supply but only made up half of them.  I froze the rest to make later in the year.  The process worked well but I was always running out when i needed a jar for a friend or a bring and buy sale.
Can I ask, why are you making life so hard for yourself by doing the whole fruit method when there are so many pips in Sevills.
Is there any advantage to using that method?
I do the squeezing, cutting, pips in a muslin bag method.

I see your post was 4 days ago, how are you getting on.  You could freeze some like i did last year if you are cheesed of with it ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 17:41 »
For years now, my mum has used the Marmade (I think) tins from the supermarket to make marmalade and it's great.

Does away with all the palaver of real oranges - although obviously if you enjoy the challenge of real oranges then you won't want to go down this route!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 18:12 »
Ma Made

for me as well, sooo easy and cheap ;)

Spana

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 18:32 »
I've never costed that out  but it must work out more expensive if you have to make a lot, like i do, but my MIL is always saying i should use Mamade.  Which does set me against it a bit :blush:  :D

Also i do a few batches of variation. This year I did 1 batch lime and pink grapefruit, 1batch orange and lemon and 4 batches orange, lemon and grapefruit, the rest -another 6 batches are just orange.  
When i jar up i fill 2or 3 little jars first at each batch and a collection of these little jars makes  a nice sale item for the church roof fund or a pressie. :)

OH gets through 2 big jars a week :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 18:34 »
Mum's variations include alcohol ...  ::) :lol:

fisher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 18:55 »
Marmalade my very favourite!! I use a recipe where you cook the fruit whole in oven, then they are soft and easy to cut in half and remove the seeds.  (the WI book of Preserves and Pickles 1994)  I'm always impatient to get going so i use plac gloves and handle them when hot! Ouch! I freeze a few as well to do later in the year.  For the first time last year, I made enough to  keep me going for the whole year .. i opened the last jar a few days b4 the lovely sevilles arrived! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 18:56 »
I know they do a lemon Ma Made, not sure about lime or grapefruit, though  :unsure:

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 00:44 »
My method is a real faff! You have to simmer the whole oranges for 1 hour, drain, do it again, keep the water, scrape the pulp from the rind and remove the pips, slice the rind, weigh the pulp and add sugar and juicy water and boil. Phew!
It's a very sticky business!
I think I'll try the other method of squeezing and cutting first. However you won't have lovely juicy bits and such soft rind? The set is always fast and good too.....(WITHOUT putting the pips in a bag) because the pectin from the skin has been simmered out into the water you use.
How long do Sevilles last in a very cool porch? I think I'm going to have to plug in the old freezer for a bit........

Debz

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:24 »
My family love home made marmalade.  I noticed that the blood oranges are back in at my local greengrocers so I shall make some marmalade and some orange curd with them soon.

sazhig

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:46 »
My Mum always used a combination of Mamade tins and real oranges & lemons. But I hated picking the bits out so one year she strained a couple of jars for me and I had 'bitless' jars from her ever since  :D

She rang me yesterday to check I didn't need any more as she was starting this year's batch. Bit as I've stopped eating bread in the last couple of years I don't use it that much now, just the occasional cake filling or a dinner of 'orangy lamb chops' and I found I still had a jar from 2008 on my shelf...should be nice and mature now :tongue2:
Saz

viettaclark

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 18:25 »
Just done a batch using Delia's recipe and it's definitely less sticky! She uses the pips and more water/sugar so it's less chunky.
I "caught" some rind on the bottom of the pan but managed to hoik out most of the "caramelised" bits. Luckily, it's such a bitter jam you don't notice!!
My knives aren't very sharp so cutting the raw peel was tedious.
Next batch I shall squeeze to get out the pips and juice then simmer the half fruits rather than shred at that stage. Cutting is so much easier if the peel is soft so we'll see if that works.
Made 20 jars now and there are loads of fruit left!
Marmalade, anyone.......? :D

Spana

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 18:30 »
I juice and slice mine with my magimix. Does a good quick job :)

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 18:33 »
 Im interested in the freezing bit .Do you freeze the whole orange if not what do you do?

Spana

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 18:37 »
Im interested in the freezing bit .Do you freeze the whole orange if not what do you do?

I freeze the whole fruits in 2or3lb lots.  I just wrap then up in a plastic supermarket bag and put them in.
Surprisingly they freeze really well but you may need to add a few more fruits than your recipe says if you are using frozen fruits

xx
Marmalade

Started by Rosy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 16:32
by andreadon
xx
marmalade

Started by strangerachael on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2017, 14:27
by Scribbler
smiley
marmalade

Started by Neil Doncaster on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 20:19
by Neil Doncaster
xx
Too much marmalade not enough jar!

Started by Remy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 18:40
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.