new to chickens, some questions!

• 7 Replies

HelenS

new to chickens, some questions!
« on: July 31, 2009, 18:49 »
We are buying a house soon (well its bought move end of aug) and i want chickens.

ive been looking online but often its easier to ask people who actually do it lol

so... do i need any kind if license to keep chickens?

and if neighbours complained about noise is there any way the council couldmake me stop keeping chicken?

and cockerells.... is there any way of castrating them or is the only way to prevent chicks keeping them seperate? how is that for the cocks mental health?

thanks

Kate and her Ducks

Re: new to chickens, some questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 18:59 »
You don't need a lisence to keep chickens but if you have more then 50 you need to be registered with DEFRA. Yes, if your chickens are very noisy and neighbours complain the council can force you to give them up but that is really unlikely. Chickens are not very noisy and bribing your neighbours with a few eggs usually works. Cocks are a different matter. They can be very noisy particularly at antisocial times like first thing in the morning! You are not usually recommended to keep a cockerel in a  residential area. You don't need a cock and the hens will lay without him but no chicks hatching without him.
Castration  (caponisation) is illegal in the UK.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 19:25 »
Hi Helen. Welcome.
Just to add that there may be a clause in your deeds or rental agreement that prevents or restricts poultry keeping.
If you're allowed, you could speak to your neighbours about it and reassure them that they won't be woken at 5am every morning, providing you site them away from the houses as much as poss and keep them clean and well housed.

Rob 8)

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 21:53 »
Hello Helens

I keep my hens in darkness until 7am, that keeps them quiet, they do tend to be quite noisey first thing .... wheres my breakfast  :mad: let me out of the coop :mad:
Thought the auto door would give me a lay in :( but I dont leave food out over night and like to keep them safe in the coop so am up anyway ???
Have one neighbour that is aware of the hens, eggs bribes work a treat :)

Jo

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 23:05 »
Hi, we are just about to start keeping chickens....the council were fine about it, even about me having a cockrel (im not going to)as i live in an upbuilt area i thought there would be more chance of getting complaints if i had a noisy boy! most of my neighbours know the chickens are coming and are fine....one has said she is worried about rats...but not about the noise. they are all looking forward to fresh eggs....hope i get some, even if its just to keep the neighbours sweet! good luck with them x

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 02:29 »
Re cocks and chicks.  As has been said here's no need to have a cock if all you want are eggs.  Hens do not need to be mated in order to lay.  Assuming you don't want to create a natural chicken social environment the only reason to have a cock is if you want to breed chicks.  As a begineer I suggest you should just start with hens even if you eventually want to breed.
A cock can fertilise an egg but a chick wouldn't start to develop until it was incubated by a broody or in an incubator.  Once an egg is fertilised and laid it will stay dormant and be indistinguishable from an non-fertised egg.  It can be cooled down and it will remain viable for up to two weeks and will only start to develop once it has reached the body temperature of a hen (around 37.5 degC).  So even if a hen is running with a cock you can still eat her eggs without any fear that a little chick will popout  when you crack it open.  It's the ability of a fertile egg to remain dormant which allows it to be sent through the post and then incubated.
Cocks are noisy at all times of the daylight hours and not just at dawn and would soon cause irritation with your neighbours so shouldn't feature in your plans at least until you are a bit more experienced.
Regards
Truth through science.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 03:15 »
Hello Helen... you dont say wherabouts you are. Perhaps a visit to someone who keeps chooks would be a good idea, most of us love the opportunity of a cuppa and a chooky gossip to share hints and tips. You have a lot to plan, the number of chickens you want/have space for, the breed(temperament as well as laying ability), sourcing a poultry able vet etc. I'm sure you'll get all the advice you seek and more on this website!

Good luck, hope you get as much pleasure from yours as we all do :) :)
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 09:23 »
Getting my first time chickens today, but no cockrel because I don't want 4.30 alarm call let alone the neighbours.
Live on the edge of a rural village, but still other people around to consider.
Neighbours have all been consulted and are as excited as I am.
Some concerns about rats, there was a problem with them last year, so quite understandable, am concerned about that myself.
Have opted for Mk 4 Fenn Traps and DFT Box available from Domestic Fowl Trust.

I went on one of the Omlet courses, and have learned LOADS from this forum re housing, the pen, the lotions and potions, etc etc, so feeling quite confident, though guessing it will be different when faced with reality!

Please keep us informed of progress, and lots of pics!

smiley
Hello all, new to having chickens, few questions.

Started by B_hibbert on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 19, 2012, 18:21
by splash101
xx
So many questions from newbie to chickens

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 17:06
by gracie
xx
What questions to ask when buying new chickens

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 23:50
by hillfooter
xx
Getting chickens for the first time - questions !!

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 14:50
by grinling

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 32 queries.