black currant cuttings

• 7 Replies

jambop

black currant cuttings
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:16 »
I took some hard wood cuttings yesterday mainly because it is the only bush in the garden, secondly it does not suffer from big bud and thirdly is is old and not too productive. Question ... am I right in thinking that if the cuttings take they will grow more vigorously and be more productive than the older parent plant?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: black currant cuttings
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 08:45 »
They will  :) unless the reducing productively was caused by a virus or disease :(

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:01 »
Blackcurrants fruit on younger wood which is why they need all the old growth taken out, you can tell the old growth because it darkens as it ages. If the wood is black, take it out, make sure it's cut above a bud that faces outwards etc. They usually are productive for about 10 years. Cuttings taken from the younger wood are more likely to be successful as the wood is still growing.
We took 9 cuttings from young growth on 1 plant and 8 of them took. An older plant, a third of the cuttings took.

Your in France, have you ever grown pinkcurrants? Their a French variant that's only just becoming available in the UK, we've 3 plants on order.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 11:04 »
Never seen pink currants but I have red currants which are very nice made into jelly, white currants are also very popular down here.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:19 »
Never seen pink currants but I have red currants which are very nice made into jelly, white currants are also very popular down here.

The type we have on order is called Gloire de Sablon.

jambop

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 18:05 »

The type we have on order is called Gloire de Sablon.

Ah so not quite white and not quite red so middle of the road pink  :lol: I took some red currant cuttings today as well... I have no idea what the varieties of these currant are but I assume an old one because the house was bought 12 years ago and these were in the garden then ! I am not really that bother about the variety to be honest it is a gardening thing you propagate cuttings  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 21:12 »
I have a couple of pink currant bushes and they are very productive.  The fruit is a nice mix of the sweetness of white currants with just a tang of the red ones.

I eat them off the bush as I am picking, but they might be a little sharp for some.  They freeze well and don't need ages to cook or a ton of sugar to make a nice pud.  They are a delicate flavour, so make a good fruit mouse or pavlova topping.  I've made some infused white rum with them this year as well.  That is still maturing, but a sneaky taste while straining and bottling put a smile on my face  :)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 08:21 »
I have a couple of pink currant bushes and they are very productive.  The fruit is a nice mix of the sweetness of white currants with just a tang of the red ones.

I eat them off the bush as I am picking, but they might be a little sharp for some.  They freeze well and don't need ages to cook or a ton of sugar to make a nice pud.  They are a delicate flavour, so make a good fruit mouse or pavlova topping.  I've made some infused white rum with them this year as well.  That is still maturing, but a sneaky taste while straining and bottling put a smile on my face  :)

I'd heard that they were a sweeter mix of the two. What I like about white currants is that the blackbirds don't know what to do with them. There's a plant near the In Laws that has pink and white fruit on it! It was a public bush so I totally took a cutting when it was dormant. It was close to the ground so the fruit was sitting on the ground going off (fusty) so it needed taking out. It was a dormant period public service.

xx
black&red currant bush cuttings, how do i tell them apart?

Started by emptydraw on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 12:19
by Agatha
xx
Currant cuttings...

Started by the4diggers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 19:19
by shokkyy
xx
currant cuttings....

Started by annie b on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 13:01
by DD.
xx
currant hardwood cuttings

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 16:56
by Greengirl

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 45 queries.