New bantams

• 11 Replies

Lola

New bantams
« on: July 31, 2010, 21:53 »
Hi, i'm new to the site and the proud new owner of two POL light Sussex bantams (my first time keeping poultry). I have had them for 4 weeks now and they have settled in really well and are becoming very tame with great characters. They are in there house at night and a run during the day. I would love for them to be able to forage around the garden when I am there to supervise them, but am worried about them flying off. I have read mixed views on light sussex bantams ability to fly. I have fencing approx 5 ft high around my garden. Would I be safe to let them out?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

jobson336

• Experienced Member
Re: New bantams
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 23:13 »
welcome to the site, im a newbie but have been using the site for a few weeks now and everyone is really helpfull when needing advice on anything you could imagine!

Make sure you clip one of the wings (not both) this will reduce the chance of getting over the fence. also be aware that they will still be able to jump up and perch on various things such as the coop, bins etc and could then jump over the fence, from my experience (limited admittedly) of my own hens, as long as there is plenty of food and water for them they have no reason to look to fly over or jump the fence.
im sure they will be happier having a good nosey around.
good luck  ;)

Lola

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 00:31 »
Hi, thank you for your advice. Think i'll give it a go tomorrow and let them have a wander around, as want them to be happy and hopefully they know there surroundings now. Fingers crossed they don't escape! Will let you know how it goes.

Thank you.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:03 »
Hi I have a light sussex bantam cross and she free ranges with the other hens. She likes to climb on things but has never tried to escape any where. Once hens know where they are safe and where they need to go at night (i.e. the coop) they will never stray far.
We've been advised not to clip our chickens wings as they like to climb on top of their coop and if they were clipped they may have problems when they jump down, resulting in a possible broken leg.
But I guess everyone has a different opinion on this!
Personally I would let them out the first few times without clipping and only clip if necessary.
You'll probably quickly  find out that they will never stray far, ours have quarter of an acre and they only go between their coop and the logs we have for them to perch on and completely ignore the rest of the space.
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Lola

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 21:48 »
hi, thanks for the reply. Mine haven't got there wings clipped, so will try without first and see if they are ok. it's reassuring to hear your light sussex cross doesn't stray too far. I'm going to let it them out for a wander tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:41 »
Hi Lola, i have bantys and let them all out in the garden, none with wings clipped and they all just love scratching aroud. I always have a few mealy worms and use these to get them back in when i need to, (they would kill for mealy worms) haha. only once did i have one go over my 6ft fence and that was on a very windy day and she got spooked by something, talk about wind under my wings she got up to about 8/9ft high, but got her back safely. Enjoy them, you can teach them to sit on your lap with a few mealy worms or another treat. be warned it wont be long before you want more!!!

Lola

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 19:54 »
Hi Bantymad, i finally plucked up the courage and let them out in the garden. They enjoyed it so much, scratching around and inspecting everything. One took flight for about a metre but only about a foot of the ground! I already want more they are very addictive and i've wanted them for so long. It's lovely to see them out in the garden being chickens!

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 21:41 »
Its great to sit out with them and just watch isnt it, they always make me smile :)

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 19:43 »
I love to watch mine too.  They are definitely addictive  :)   
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Lola

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 20:54 »
It is so nice watching them. They're getting alot more confident out in the garden now, so much so that i had a job getting them back in tonight, but i don't mind, as long as they're having fun. They've had another couple of goes at flying, but don't get very high off the ground! They found lots of slugs and bugs today where i'd moved some pots, which they enjoyed very much. They haven't laid any eggs yet, but they're only about 22 weeks, so guess need to be patient, but it will be very exciting when they do!

TeaPots

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 21:21 »
If you give them a little sprinkling of corn, in their run, whenever you want/need them to go back in, it will be easy.

Lola

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 21:39 »
Thank you teapots, i will try with corn.I did try with mealy worms tonight, but think they found they slugs more appealing. :D

xx
Bantams

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 20:32
by Craig69
xx
Bantams

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 10:18
by Foxy
xx
Bantams??

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2016, 07:02
by joyfull
xx
Help with ex bat and bantams

Started by scampy on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 19:22
by scampy

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 35 queries.