Is Aminopyralid going to be relicensed?

• 39 Replies

glallotments

• Our plot at Green Lane Allotments
Is Aminopyralid going to be relicensed?
« on: June 05, 2009, 16:57 »
Just thought that people may be interested/concerned to read the minutes of the last meeting of the Advisory Committee on Pesticides.
This is an extract refering to aminopyralid

5 June 2009 Extract from - Minutes of the 337th meeting of the Advisory Committee on Pesticides (ACP) held on 12 May 2009

5. Agenda Item 5: Applications for the use of ‘Forefront’ and ‘Runway’ (now known as ‘Mileway’) water in oil emulsion formulations containing 30 g/l aminopyralid and 100 g/l fluroxypyr, as an agricultural herbicide and horticultural/industrial herbicide on grassland and amenity grassland [ACP 7 (337/2009)]
5.1 Members considered the applications for the re-instatement of approvals for products containing aminopyralid.

5.2 Members agreed that the applicant had taken all reasonable steps to manage manure contaminated with residues, through the proposed stewardship campaign, training and monitoring. However, there was some concern about the practicalities of the programme which would need to be addressed and closely monitored as part of the stewardship programme.

5.3 Members noted that aminopyralid was persistent in ground water, and that further confirmation of the effect of irrigating vulnerable crops from ground water sources was required.

5.4 Members were also concerned that approval in Europe could result in UK stewardship measures being by-passed. Further information was requested from the applicant about the level of approval and stewardship requirements across the EU

5.5 Subject to satisfactory resolution of these outstanding questions, members were minded to advise Ministers to re-instate approvals.

Source ACP website http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/acp.asp?id=2691
Visit our blog

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Is Aminopyralid going to be relicensed?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 17:14 »
Hell's Bells - they stop us using harmless things and then allow ....    :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yabba

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 17:43 »
*hands auntie a glass of wine ..... make that a strong whiskey* now't queerer than folk huh? ;)

¥

glallotments

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 15:30 »
The latest ACP update is to recommend relicensing in light of DOWs new proposed stewardship proposals.

An epetition against reinstatement has also been created.

I'm not sure whether I am still unable to post direct links so check my website for details - links are posted on the home page.

zazen999

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 15:47 »
Hi GL *waves

glallotments

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 15:52 »
Hi back ;)

gawk

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 16:05 »
Here is what is on the ACP website...

3.1 (a) Aminopyralid [ACP 12 (338/2009)]

3.1.1 Members considered further information requested following discussions at the 337th Meeting on 12 May 2009.

3.1.2 After consideration of this information, the ACP advised that approvals could be reinstated subject to the rigorous conditions of the stewardship scheme which would stop the supply of manure containing residues and provide testing advice and equipment, as well as a removal service for any remaining manure containing residues on allotments or gardens.

3.1.3 The Committee noted email correspondence from allotment holders received prior to the Meeting, and discussed methods of providing information and reassurance. It was agreed that the ACP would produce a press release in addition to any action by CRD if their advice is accepted by Ministers.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/acp.asp?id=2724

The e-petition is here...
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/aminopyralidban/
It's all too much!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 17:16 »
On another forum my attention was drawn to the fact that the e-Petition includes "clopyralid", in addition to "aminopyralid".

Clopyralid is used to kill clover in selective weed killers [for lawns].  I was familiar with the chemical name, but I had not associated it with Aminopyralid

I am used to the instruction "Don't mulch or compost the first few clippings after application" on selective weedkillers, but I have today checked the "small print" on the Verdone Extra that I applied to the lawn just recently and it says this:

"All grass clippings may be left in place on the lawn. The first mowing after application must not be used as a mulch, either fresh or after composting since it may damage desired plants. Dispose of via normal household waste. Do no dispose of via council composting schemes. The next three mowings should be used a a mulch only after composting well for at least 9 months"

which is going to catch some people out I fear ... and possibly Council Composting schemes too ...

glallotments

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 18:59 »

"All grass clippings may be left in place on the lawn. The first mowing after application must not be used as a mulch, either fresh or after composting since it may damage desired plants. Dispose of via normal household waste. Do no dispose of via council composting schemes. The next three mowings should be used a a mulch only after composting well for at least 9 months"

which is going to catch some people out I fear ... and possibly Council Composting schemes too ...

I was told - but it is heresay - that at least one composting company no longer uses council waste due to problems with contaminants. They call it grey waste! The problem is that there isn't a way of monitoring what goes into a green waste bin. Clopyralid caused a problem for the US composting industry

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 21:47 »
Sounds good enough reason to stick to using my own home made compost.......

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 21:53 »
I would never use council compost 'cos I know what I put in my green bin. :blink:
Cheese makes everything better.

glallotments

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 17:39 »
Just wanted to remind everyone about the petition which has just topped 1000 signatures. Probably won't change anything but at least we can feel we have had our say!

glallotments

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 16:33 »
It's 1480 signatures now but if you signed check that your name has appeared. Someone today told me they had signed but they are not on the list. If it has happened to one it is likely to have happened to other people. When you sign up an email is sent to the email address that you gave. You have to verify this in order for your name to be added - it just needs you to click the link in the email. The problem is that some email accounts send the message into the junk or spam box. (Obvious doesn't like anything that comes from the government). If you have signed up please check you name is on the list and if not check your email including junk box for a message that is from 10 Downing Street.

If you can't find an email then please sign up again.

Our local rep said he thought it had been relicensed but I haven't heard anything - have you? Pity the mag won't be out before the petition closes. :mellow:

glallotments

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 14:21 »
Petition closes on 23 October so please sign up.

If you have a website, blog, forum or a social network page please use it to encourage more signatures.

Also use the sharing utilities such as Stumbleupon to promote the petition or any sites giving information.

Some people have pointed their MPs ( one Mp at least has signed up)to the petition to show that there is concern out here so the more signatures the better for that too.

We need another big push.

glallotments

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 15:52 »
The ACP minutes have been posted with hardly any mention of AP just

2. Agenda Item 2: Secretary’s report. [ACP 3 (339/2009)]
2.1 The Secretary to the Committee reported on the recommendations made at previous meetings. Members heard that Ministers were considering advice given at the last Meeting on aminopyralid.

So it seems it is now in the government's hands.

I have also just had a phone call from a reporter from the Yorkshire Post -it seems DOW have issued a press release which implies that they are poised to reintroduce AP onto the market.

xx
aminopyralid ???

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 09, 2016, 08:03
by arh
clip
Aminopyralid?

Started by Small Potatoes on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 24, 2019, 14:34
by jambop
clip
Aminopyralid damage?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2021, 17:44
by wighty
xx
Aminopyralid in my tomatoes????

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2014, 09:11
by Lesleyk

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 39 queries.