Insulation type for the coop and heat lamp, 250watts enough for some chicks

• 7 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
hello everyone this is mo from derby (UK) any one out there for any suggestions/recommendation? i have 4 chickens in the coop and the wood isn't very thick, only 12mm i think. just thinking if i should put some insulation sheets inside walls and the roof? i bought it off ebay, the actual house is about 1 and half feet of the floor and is on concrete floor. should i put anything on the coop such as pvc sheets etc?

i also have a broody hen sitting on the eggs and she's in the shed, and 4 chicks about 8-9 weeks old in a card box at the moment, i let them out during the day. im thinking of getting a infra red heat lamp with watts of 250, will that be enough in the shed for all 5.

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mo.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
hi and welcome  :)
first of all you do not need to insulate your coop - this could lead to condensation problems and also remember hens have their own feather duvets to keep them warm. They will huddle together at night for added warmth anyway.
The chicks do not need any extra heat either - if they need more their mum will help keep them warm, if the shed is too big for them consider blocking some of it off and using it as a feed store ot tool store  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Hi, thanks so much for the reply, this is my first winter with the birds. so just a bit worried.

the 4 chicks are on their own bought them from a market really cute hehe.. the hen is sitting on eggs been about a week.. so was thinking of getting a infra red heat lamp of 250watts as the shed is a bit wide and i can use the heat lamp for the hen when the eggs are hatched and for the 4 chicks i have already got..

i've heard that foxes can break through coops so im not sure if i should secure it abit more. i tried attaching a picture but the size was too big..

this is what i have bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250784796830?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5989wt_953

personally i think its strong enough but not too sure.

mo

Derculees

Hi Mo, I'm replying because I have a coop exactly the same. 8' x 4'
I had the time to treat it with timber preservative and let it 'air off'
before adding my pol (4 Marans) I was going to get 6 but glad I didn't
coop not big enough, other than for them to sleep in, or for bad weather days.
I keep them on the back lawn and added small wheels at the heavy end and
a rope across the other end so I could move it every 1 to 2 days without
bothering my oh for a lift. Other modifications needed were adding thicker
sawn off branches as rungs to their ladder as they were struggling to get
up and down the original. Also where the nest box is joined to to the main house,
I had to glue and screw a pvc strip to keep the rain out!!! Have tried to contact
the supplier without success. I suspended their feeder under the ladder and
suspended their drinker at the foot of the ladder, for easier access for myself,
and to give them maximum floor space.
I've installed an electric fence round the back garden to deter cats and foxes,
which the neighbours feed on a regular basis, expensive but what the hell.
It also saves the complete annihalation of the border plants.
I will be moving them soon onto a block paved area, (similar hard standing as
your concrete base) to give the lawn a rest and thought of keeping them 'deep litter'
within the coop, with correx boards round the base to contain the litter.
Getting back to your original question, I would be wary of adding any form of
electric heating, with the fire risk involved with deep litter. (They keep chickens in
northern Canada)  A tarp over the roof on a night will do for me, whilst keeping
an eye on their drinker, would hate the glass container to break due to frost.
Enjoy your 'Cocoon' coop, don't they look great. Oh by the way, one half of the
roof blew off on mine, fixed it back with bigger screws ok.
Yorkshire Rose x Scottish Thistle - nice blooms, but wear a glove

FeralSuz

• Watching the sunset...
Hi Mo,

My first winter with my chooks too, so I understand your concern. :} Worried they are going to freeze...bites fingernails...they have a couple of Cocoon coops (we bought too because we are finding the smaller of the four birds is getting pecked a lot so it is handy to keep the smaller girls sparated from the bigger ones). They have nice closable roost/nesting boxes as a sort of floating room up off the ground, with ventilation holes.

Is this really all they need? (to the person who answered last) hee hee. I was also thinking about putting something over the enclosed box bit, have considered a heat lamp too, but now know that you advise against it...:} Keep posting, I am taking notes!

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
thanks for the replies everyone, will be making some changings and upgrading stuff...

another thing, my chickens dont eat the feed that much (mixed corn with wheat pellets..)

are layers pellets good for cockerals (males), should i just feed them pellets?

at the moment i feed the boiled rice, the mixed feed thy dont eat much.. and the Bajra (Millet) which the male loves the most.. and whole meal (wheat chapati) soaked in water...

any suggestions?

mo

Sassy

There is no reason why they should not be fed layers pellets and nothing else. They are a complete feed and contain everything they need. Personally, and a lot of people on here also recommend, I would also give them oyster shell and grit.

The above goes for your cockerel as well.

Unless you really know what you are doing feeding anything else could leave them deficient in some, mineral, vitamin, protein etc. It is fine to give a handful of mixed corn before they go to bed and 'greens' but do not overdo it. Too much corn could make them fat and fat chooks don't lay.

Hope this helps :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Casey76

Hi Mo.  Just to let you know that I have a bunch of hens, including cockerels in alsace France.  The winter weather here can go as low as -20C overnight during the winter, and sometimes it doesn't get above 0C for weeks on end.

My coops aren't insulated, and the amount of heat that the chickens give off is phenomenal.  Sometimes it even steams during the coldest days!

Therefore I wouldn't realy worry too much about your adult hens.

the chicks may need to be kept indoors for a bit longer, but as they are with mum she will do the best job of keeping them warm.  It is quite easy to overheat chicks, so better to leave mum to do her job.

For feeding I would feed them all a basic layer pellet, with a handful of mixed grain in an evening.  While cockerels do not need the extra calcium which is in the layer pellets, it is easier to feed everyone the same than try to feed the cockerel a different diet - becasue the hens will probably decide they like the wheat/corn better than the layer pellets!

Good luck :)

xx
Type of heat lamp

Started by gracie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 08:38
by Dominic
xx
heat lamp in coop advice

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2011, 21:24
by pepsi100
xx
Chicks heat lamp

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:30
by Fifitrix
smiley
How old would you put chicks out side with a heat lamp?

Started by jules66 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 09:42
by hulgrin

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 37 queries.