How old would you put chicks out side with a heat lamp?

• 6 Replies

jules66

We have hatched 10 chicks, they are now nearly 2 weeks old. I have them in a bedroom in a cage with a heater.
There feathers are growing, but was wondering when they could be transfered outside to a small shed with the heater.
This is my first time of hatching chicks.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: How old would you put chicks out side with a heat lamp?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 17:11 »
I used to keep mine indoors for ages... but the dust was really getting on my nerves... not to mention the smell!!

I am now barbaric and shoot them out the door as soon as they are up and running.... usually within  24 hours!!!

I have either lamps.... on a cage that is surrounded by bubble wrap... but this gets a bit sweaty inside which I dont think is good for the chicks..... or a bought electric hen in another cage... or two other cages with home made leccy hens.....

All the chicks that I have put outside have survived so far!!!!   and so far this year its around 150 chicks :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 20:08 »
when i got my inky eggs the guy had the little uns outside in a home made brooder in his shed with the l proper heat lamp  they were all fine and happy, prob 2-4 days old so long as not too draughty in there, id go for a sturdy box rather than a cage def, ive got my first lot of eggs in the inky :) got my lamp and box ready so hope all goes well :mellow:, x

poppies

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 22:21 »
Hi we put ours out in the brooder at 24/48 hours old if you keep them too warm they take longer to feather up, make sure it is draught proof though

TeaPots

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 22:42 »
I keep mine in the house  :( they have a heat lamp for 1st 2 weeks, then I gradually reduce heat from 3-5 weeks old, by which time they should be off the heat. To go outside at around 5-7 weeks depending how many there are. The more chicks to snuggle up together, the younger they can face the outside world. Outside temperatures also make a difference too. In the summer, all out in garden at 5-6 weeks old, winter 8 weeks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07 »
Our hybrids which we get at day old go straight into the brooder shed, in a big ring made of hardboard with 1 - 3 heat lamps.

With chicks hatched in our incubator as they are in smaller numbers, I keep them in the house for a couple of days first but like Traacyken said, just make sure there are no draughts.  If chicks crowd under the lamp they are too cold, if they are way outside the heat circle too warm.  Just make sure they are in a nice circle around the edge of the lamp, but with a little gap in the centre.  Then you'll know they are happy!

hulgrin

• To surf is to understand :)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:42 »
I keep mine in the house  :( they have a heat lamp for 1st 2 weeks, then I gradually reduce heat from 3-5 weeks old, by which time they should be off the heat. To go outside at around 5-7 weeks depending how many there are. The more chicks to snuggle up together, the younger they can face the outside world. Outside temperatures also make a difference too. In the summer, all out in garden at 5-6 weeks old, winter 8 weeks

Eggsactly what I did :) <<<< see what I did there ;) lol Mine went out at around the 6 week mark and they are fine. Well when I say fine I mean mad as a box of frogs :) I think I may have bought racing chickens cos they dont half like to run around ;)
One life Live it !

xx
Chicks heat lamp

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:30
by Fifitrix
xx
Insulation type for the coop and heat lamp, 250watts enough for some chicks

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 08:48
by Casey76
xx
Heat mat or Lamp

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 10:27
by Casey76
xx
Heat lamp

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 14:47
by gracie

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 35 queries.