Chicks heat lamp

• 4 Replies

FRUITFULL

Chicks heat lamp
« on: May 05, 2009, 07:46 »
Bluebell and Betty are now 5 weeks old :D They are adoreable.When i learn how to shrink my file sizes with the new camera i will post lots of pics.
My question is we have been putting them in the run in the day time and back in doors at night (they spend the evening on my daughters bed!)then back under the heat lamp.Should i turn the lamp off at night now?they dont have it on when they are in there in the day time.
Also when will they be safe to free range as we have the rooks who are permanently hanging around after killing Bunty?At the weekend i had them out with me and a rook swooped down,there was lots of us in the garden including the dog and washing on the line,yet it still tryed to get one. ::)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicks heat lamp
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:12 »
Hi There

I know someone more experienced will be along to let you know what really is what!  But am happy to share my experience.

I too have some 5 week old chicks, their my 3rd lot.  Haven't had the heat lamp on them day or night for about 2 weeks now.  One of them looked not very well @ one point last week so I turned it on @ night for a few days and they're all fine again now.

I have a rabbit run I put them in the day which protects them from all predators (in my case a Killer Cat!).  My 9 week old chicks are in the run with the other chickens all the time now but they look pretty big and I don't think any thing will be taking a pop at them especially with the other hens around who be sure to let me know if anyone's thinking about it.  I have admit I mostly don't let mine free range because of the havoc they cause in the garden but when they do, I'll be keeping an eye on the 9 week olds until they're a fair bit bigger.

Hope that helps & good luck.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:26 »
Hi fruitfull my 5 week old dorkings have not had a lamp for 2 weeks now (breeder had them of heat when i bought them) they are indoors in a dog cage unless its a nice day then i pop them in their run for a bit, they both seem quite happy and growing well.
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FRUITFULL

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 15:13 »
No more lamp then!i feel like when my children grew and i left the push chair at home.I did think the chicks were too big for the lamp.What age can they move outside permenantly?

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 16:30 »
Hi Fruitful

I put my 9 week olds out permanently @ 8 weeks old.  They're fine although I have to put them to bed cos the other's won't let them in @ the moment  >:(.

smiley
How old would you put chicks out side with a heat lamp?

Started by jules66 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 09:42
by hulgrin
xx
Insulation type for the coop and heat lamp, 250watts enough for some chicks

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 08:48
by Casey76
xx
Heat mat or Lamp

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 10:27
by Casey76
xx
Heat lamp

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 14:47
by gracie

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 38 queries.