Chicks off heat

• 2 Replies

Prod

Chicks off heat
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:32 »
I bought some day old legbar chicks about a month ago along with 2 Exchequer Longhorns, which were 7 weeks old.  The leghorns ar now outside & I am feeding them growers pellets.  The Cream Legbars are in a brooder box  but the last few days I have been turning off the light during the day as it so warm in the shed. I am feeding them chick crumbs.  At what point can I take them off the light an put them outside???  Thanks again in advance for all interest & replies.....

Sassy

Re: Chicks off heat
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:54 »
It is currently very warm here and if they were mine I would put them out in a covered run during the day and in at night under a lamp. However it may be much cooler with you. You can judge it by how much and how close they sit under the lamp during the day. It is always better to wean them off gradually by raising the lamp and monitoring them. If they huddle up under it they may be a little cool. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Chicks off heat
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:28 »
Like Sassy says introduce them to the great outdoors gradually and reduce the heat a little each night. 

That is why I love a broody hen as my new chicks were out and about with Mum from 3 days old.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
when to take chicks off heat?

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 21:39
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chicks heat lamp

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:30
by Fifitrix
smiley
How old would you put chicks out side with a heat lamp?

Started by jules66 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 09:42
by hulgrin
xx
Insulation type for the coop and heat lamp, 250watts enough for some chicks

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 08:48
by Casey76

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 38 queries.