Introducing new hens - too much space?

• 3 Replies

SamT

Introducing new hens - too much space?
« on: June 18, 2013, 12:52 »
I recently got two new pol hens to add to my remaining two (age 4) and have read up about all the scenario's and realize this is not going to be a happy process (And noisy my poor neighbour's). We have had them since Saturday and at the moment we are letting them all out into the garden together and they are sticking together in their pairs. The newbies are not hiding from the old hens and will get close which is good so they are all aware of each other. One of the old hens stalk's the newbies and runs at them so they dash away from her they get the occasional peck which we are expecting. My question is are we giving them too much space should we lock them in the pen together and let them get on with it? Are we prolonging the process by giving them space?  The only real nastiness we had so far was last night on the perch when the stalker reached across the other older hen to attack the newbies and was quite vicious but I am going to have to lock them in pen together for a few days soon when I go to work and am worried so maybe I should lock them in now so I can keep eye on them? The top hen has jumped on another hen before and I'm worried if she does that to newbie she will damage them as shes a bluebelle so she's a hefty chook.  They can jump quite high so will have some where to escape in the pen. Any other advice to speed this process up gratefully received. Thank you

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Introducing new hens - too much space?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 13:03 »
I usually quarantine mine for three weeks just in case of any infection or unwelcome visitors (lice, mites, worms).  If they are already together you can try them in the pen and see what happens.  Best to have a small table or something for the newbies to fly up on out of the way.  I have one with a feeder and drinker on so my bantams always have access to food and water without being bullied.  Try to distract your older hens with a cabbage hung up.  They will chase the newbies away from it but they should be preoccupied enough not to attack them.  Once they are happy with their pecking order things should calm down.  Just be ready with the purple spray/wound powder or corn flour in case of injury and bleeding.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 16:31 »
Give them space. They'll slowly sort things out, but you can't really speed up the process. One day you just realise that they are all mixed up together having a dustbath or planning world revolution.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37 »
Definitely continue to give them space. To confine them and force the issue is asking for trouble. You are doing the right thing. It can help to ensure you have more than one feeding and drinking station as this is the area that is likely to cause upset. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
How much space do hens need ?

Started by Alby on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 11, 2008, 19:22
by richyrich7
xx
introducing new hens

Started by jammypam on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 16:53
by desandchez

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.