raspberries -summer or autumn?

• 9 Replies

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
raspberries -summer or autumn?
« on: May 15, 2013, 20:44 »
I want to grow some raspberries and from what I've read the autumn ones are easiest. Is this right? And if I plant some now will I get fruit this year?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: raspberries -summer or autumn?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 20:52 »
Autumn are more straight forward, in that you cut them down completely at the end of the year, and then they fruit on the new year's growth.

and yes, if you plant some now, you will get fruit this year  :D

Give them lots of compost or manure, and decent mulch and feed them every February (or when the ground has thawed) with blood fish & bone and they'll do you proud.

Plus they don't usually need staking either
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 21:00 »
No idea what ours a but we cut them down each year and they grow like mad. We always get fruit so I guess they are autumn ones  :wacko:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 21:06 »
No idea what ours a but we cut them down each year and they grow like mad. We always get fruit so I guess they are autumn ones  :wacko:

Must be then  ;)

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 21:12 »
Thanks, that sounds great that they're pretty easy to grow.  :) :) Now I just need to get some. Is this the kind of thing people are happy to dig up a bit to pass on? I read just now in a post that someone has some in pots but unfortunately nowhere near me  :(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 21:18 »
Thanks, that sounds great that they're pretty easy to grow.  :) :) Now I just need to get some. Is this the kind of thing people are happy to dig up a bit to pass on? I read just now in a post that someone has some in pots but unfortunately nowhere near me  :(

We couldn't get any for love nor money when we got on the site, no-one wanted to share. God knows why when they are like weeds to grow. We had some vandals break in and chopped off one of the old boys out of spite. No-one knew about this until later, but about a month later I said to chris they look like raspberries growing in the wildlife area AKA the weed patch, we dug them up and hey presto we have four beds now.

We then found out about this old boys and felt awful but we didn't know. And they were goring happily by that time.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 21:32 »

You can still buy them in garden centres. You don't need many because they multiply quite quickly year on year. You can get bits off others if you are lucky though

ryetek

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:02 »
We couldn't get any for love nor money when we got on the site, no-one wanted to share. God knows why when they are like weeds to grow.

We were lucky enough to get some off a fellow plot holder but only on the strict condition that we didn't put the fruit in to any local shows. He was very adamant about this. He and his wife win loads of prizes for their raspberries and I guess this is why they was reluctant to pass canes on. Fortunately we don't show and were happy with his conditions.

Also in answer to Buddleja's question we have both Summer and Autumn rapsberries now. The Autumn rapsberries are easier to mange and the fruit is bigger however the Summer raspberries produce fruit earlier in the year. Go for Autumn raspberries if you can wait longer for the fruit.

simonwatson

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:28 »
For me it's Autumn raspberries every time. The reason for there's much less work involved with them. No support required, no working out which canes to cut and which to keep, no worrying about a late frost taking out the flowers.

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 20:25 »
Thanks for the advice. Definately autumn ones for me then  :) I'll check with some friends first and then pop off to the garden centre if no one has any to spare.

xx
Autumn or summer raspberries?

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 04, 2012, 20:40
by mrswashi
xx
Raspberries - summer or autumn?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 19:00
by JayG
xx
autumn raspberries fruited in summer now nothing

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2014, 11:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
different treatment for summer and autumn raspberries?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 09:41
by penance

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 38 queries.