Cabbage thief

• 9 Replies

Beano

Cabbage thief
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:05 »
I was busy planting cabbages yesterday morning, watched very closely by Amber. She would squak every now and again as if to get my attention. After planting two neat rows and placing collars round each cabbage I went down the road to have Sunday lunch with my sister.
On my return I saw Amber coming out from under the blackcurrant bushes with soil covered beak. She had hopped over the fence as soon as my back was turned and taken a few bites/pecks out of the cabbages, ripped away some collars and dug two large holes in the plot.
She looked suitably guilty and all I could do was laugh. More that likely they will get the odd cabbage or two once they grow but obviously she couldn't wait.
El.

Paul Plots

Re: Cabbage thief
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:08 »
And Amber is a chicken I'd guess?

Chicken enough to wait until your back was turned.  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:40 »
Your chooks will appreciate a cabbage (or even half or quarter depending on the size of your flock) to peck at.  I grow a variety of greens of all kinds to keep my girls happy but I feed them to them rather than let them loose in the brassica patch  :D  Mind you they will always go where you don't want them to, sometimes with disastrous results.  I've given up trying to make their run look nice with sunflowers and pansies  :nowink:

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 14:38 »
I've been lucky enough to get a 1 acre allotment and have dedicated two plots to the cabbages, caulis, broccoli etc I will thin out from my main plot and the girls will get these for the Winter as I will partially cook and freeze the lot.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 17:27 »
Before I gave up trying to grow veggies with free ranging chooks, (it was a losing battle), I planted a row of onions, got to the end of the row and turned round to survey my hard work only to find Henrietta had been going along behind me digging them all back up! I now have an allotment and their new run is where the veggie patch was. >:(

Beano

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:05 »
They have the best area of the garden as it is, with bushes and a lovely large crab apple tree. So it is very rarely that they make the effort to jump the fence.
It was the sight of those juicy cabbages that made her go for it. We are in the process of tidying up the fence and are making it higher in the process. She has helped me out in that my husband will have to get a move on and finish it now.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:49 »
If there were ever opportunists, its hens!  Nothing is out of bounds! :tongue2:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:37 »
If there were ever opportunists, its hens!  Nothing is out of bounds! :tongue2:

And they seem to care not who sees or knows...

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 21:50 »
They are good for clearing out slugs and bugs over winter in a patch that you want to plant  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 16:02 »
They are good for clearing out slugs and bugs over winter in a patch that you want to plant  :)

It always amazes me when people seem surprised to learn that chickens love eating things that wiggle, squirm or hop.

xx
Dangling cabbage ? what a flop !!!

Started by wolverine on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 18:00
by evie2
xx
potato peelings and cabbage,

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

29 Replies
Last post November 20, 2012, 19:23
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 28 queries.