Growing Aubergines

• 12 Replies

Nobbie

Growing Aubergines
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:05 »
I’m trying aubergines for the first time this year with Jewel Jet F1 which is a smaller fruited variety. After reading how they take a while to germinate and need a long season I sowed them 3rd week of Jan, only for them to be coming through in a couple of weeks and then growing strongly under LED lighting. This morning I find one of them has flowered already   ???

What are others experiences with aubergines? I suspect I should remove the flowers and let the plant get bigger before fruiting as there is plenty of time for them to mature?

I have no idea why this site posts my photos upside down, I even turn the original upside down and posted it again to no avail :nowink:
255A1BE7-CE2B-4F2D-BF53-61C8C3E333DE.jpeg
55D02472-2867-4F4A-9EF8-0FC922892572.jpeg
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 11:09 by Nobbie »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:35 »
Lucky you, I'd pinch out the flowers and the growing tip to make them grow bushy.
They are slow to germinate and grow, if you don't have the 'luxury' of growing under lights  :D

Sorry, I've no idea about the pics either  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 09:55 »
I have no idea why this site posts my photos upside down, I even turn the original upside down and posted it again to no avail :nowink:

If you used an I-phone to take the pics with the volume button facing upwards (as most people do) the picture is actually recorded upside down, but the digital file created contains information which tells photo-viewing software to turn it the right way up.

Unfortunately, the software this forum uses doesn't recognise this information, so the only way you can post your pictures the right way up is to shoot the pics with the volume button facing down (I know, I know, don't shoot me I'm only the messenger!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 12:20 »

If you used an I-phone to take the pics with the volume button facing upwards (as most people do) the picture is actually recorded upside down, but the digital file created contains information which tells photo-viewing software to turn it the right way up.

Unfortunately, the software this forum uses doesn't recognise this information, so the only way you can post your pictures the right way up is to shoot the pics with the volume button facing down (I know, I know, don't shoot me I'm only the messenger!)  :lol:

Thanks, that has stopped me thinking I’m going mad :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 15:30 »
I usually post pictures from my iPhone and I just go into edit on the picture and turn them right round in a circle and save. 

It usually looks exactly the same as when you started, but as you are viewing them with the volume button facing up, the phone twigs that that is the right way up and posts them they way you want.

It will show you the picture on the phone the right way up whatever way you hold it, so that is no clue to the actual orientation the phone has it on.

Makes sense  :wacko:  Thought not, but it works for me  :lol:

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 15:54 »
I couldn’t bear to remove the flowers, so I now have a baby aubergine  :D
7EF40A50-752F-4B81-AE62-306D2677E559.jpeg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 13:43 »
Blue ribbon to you for what has to be the earliest aubergine in the UK this year!  :D

It is warm here, but mine are still small, nowhere near producing fruit.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 17:21 »
Mine are budding up inside on the windowsill, but nowhere near fruiting yet.

I have got a couple of pointy peppers already through, plus a mini chilli pepper plant loaded with flower.  There are fruits forming, but they are birds eye sized when fully grown, so barely visible at the moment  :lol:
FFB7BA91-732B-4ECA-AD02-168099EECA07.jpeg
65FE999E-202B-48BC-9745-E38981DFB112.jpeg

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 19:07 »
Mine are budding up inside on the windowsill, but nowhere near fruiting yet.

I have got a couple of pointy peppers already through, plus a mini chilli pepper plant loaded with flower.  There are fruits forming, but they are birds eye sized when fully grown, so barely visible at the moment  :lol:

They look really healthy, my Apache chillis have usable green fruits on them, but the plants seem to have stopped growing. Knocked one out of it’s pot and it hadn’t rooted any further from when I repotted it last. Seem to remember them doing something similar last year. Maybe they need more warmth.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 09:09 »
my Apache chillis have usable green fruits on them, but the plants seem to have stopped growing. Knocked one out of it’s pot and it hadn’t rooted any further from when I repotted it last. Seem to remember them doing something similar last year. Maybe they need more warmth.

Maybe.  It does sound like they have just paused for a while. What about providing heat from the base of the pot?  Have you got a propagator heated base you could try?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 09:14 »
My sweet banana peppers are in bud, but the jalapenos are still too small.

Nobbie

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 17:11 »
my Apache chillis have usable green fruits on them, but the plants seem to have stopped growing. Knocked one out of it’s pot and it hadn’t rooted any further from when I repotted it last. Seem to remember them doing something similar last year. Maybe they need more warmth.

Maybe.  It does sound like they have just paused for a while. What about providing heat from the base of the pot?  Have you got a propagator heated base you could try?

No electric to the greenhouse yet, so hopefully they’ll buck up as the temperature rise.

jezza

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 21:08 »
Hello just keep the flowers on give the Aubergine plants a good feed of quarter strength tomato feed, dont water over the top it rots the fruit ,if you are watering the peppers every day it can make the plants lazy and not want to put their roots down the pot,ease off the watering when they look dry put the plants in a tray of warm water and let them soak it up from under neath the roots will make for the water    jezza

xx
GROWING AUBERGINES

Started by mickjoe84 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 10:12
by compostqueen
xx
Growing Aubergines

Started by sentoholistics on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 21:45
by gobs
xx
Growing Aubergines in pots

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 22:09
by simbamara
xx
Growing aubergines outdoors?

Started by BarefootDancer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 12:49
by BarefootDancer

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 53 queries.