Fixing damaged Ikea furniture

• 3 Replies

Lardman

Fixing damaged Ikea furniture
« on: September 18, 2022, 12:20 »
I was gifted one of their large L-shaped, kidney section desks many moons ago (15 year  ::) ) after it's owner applied a little too much weight to it and ripped the fixing screws out. They were largely M6 coarse threaded screws stripped out of chipboard.

A quick rummage around the toolbox produced some M4 flanged threaded inserts, screwed these into the stripped out holes, replaced the original screws with some pan headed M4 bolts. Job done. As a added benefit it also enable the desk to built and rebuilt a number of times without causing damage to the wood.

Recommended for anyone suffering the same problems with any chipboard furniture or kitchen cabinets - would have cost less than a pint to fix even if I'd have bought the fixing new. No need to bin things and replace them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Fixing damaged Ikea furniture
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 12:29 »
Well done, waste no want not, especially nowadays  ::)

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 12:47 »
I can't understand why they don't make them like this anyway. There must be tonnes of the stuff ending up in landfill with minor damage just from unscrewing the fitting once or twice or even over-tightening them. 

I'd put off doing anything with it as I expected it to be a major repair job with epoxy, drilling & tapping. If all the other things I've got stored for "when I get a spare 5 minutes" are as simple I might actually be able to get into the spare bedroom by the end of the year.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 19:05 »
Like lots of flat packed furniture it is sadly designed & sold to be only put up once, placed in position & never moved or taken down so that you buy again & again. Our government needs to take a stand on all the cr@p that is allowed in this country. It really is getting ridiculous & we’re getting ripped off. And it’s not because I don’t like IKEA, I don’t mind it, I have some good chairs in the conservatory from there, but as hubby is a master craftsman we don’t have much else & he can’t stand the place :lol: :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Dating furniture.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post October 10, 2023, 18:06
by GraciesGran
xx
Antique furniture polish recommendations.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2023, 16:21
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 43 queries.